Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

So, we are moving house in a couple of weeks (from an upstairs 2 bedroom to a large house with an enormous yard). Both cats have been with us (and thus totally indoors) since we got them at around 8 weeks (one is now 3 years and the other about 6 months).

They dont particularly like going outside - specially the older one as she is less adventurous and both tend to try and run back inside or they will just go and lie on their sides and refuse to move :)

So I'm fairly sure they will stay inside at the new house (for the first while at least), but after they discover the great outdoors I'm worried! They are not familiar with cars, dogs, birds, electric fences or other people. The new house's layout is such that keeping them indoors 24/7 would be close to impossible.

Has anyone else had a similar issue that might be able to help with a solution/suggestions?

tx!

· Registered
1,268 Posts
just wondering what it is about the layout of the house that makes it close to impossible to keep them inside. can't you just keep doors closed?

if you're worried that they'll see a lot more of the outside because of big windows and an open floor plan and want to go outside more because of that, I wouldn't worry about that just yet. as long as you keep them entertained with enough toys and play time inside, they may just continue to be very happy inside, sitting in a sunny spot and watching the world go from the warmth and safety of the house.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your response. I am from South Africa, and due to the climate doors/windows are open most of the time. With our current flat, the gates/burglars bars allowed us to fit it with "catproof" netting, but the new place has sliding doors, so the security gate folds up, which would not work with the netting.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Well darn. I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions then. I don't know enough about housing materials. All I can think of is screens. Don't if that's feasible with those sliding doors you have, though. :-(

· Registered
39 Posts
Do you leave the doors and windows open all the time? Maybe you could consider making them a big outside cage to hang out in when they are open...? (Sorry, I'm just trying to think of suggestions. I'm by no means an expert. I'm quite the novice in owning of cats or homes. lol)

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Lacy,

Not a bad idea that! Windows are open all the time yes, doors not. They are very scared of the great outdoors, maybe that will continue when we move and I'm worried needlessly.

Will keep a CLOSE eye on them the first weeks to make sure

· Registered
169 Posts
Hi, i can understand you're worried about them being outside, but i personally think they'll love it once they get used to it. As you say, they're used to being indoors and lack confidence with the outdoors, but I don't think this is a good reason to keep them indoors once you're in the new house. Cats know their limits most the time, they'll look out for each other in a way and learn to be confident with the outdoors. However, I would definately recommend a catflap or some form of constant access for them to come into the house when they feel unsafe. My cats love the outdoors, (even though they've lived as indoor cats before) and they know that they can run inside whenever they need to.

At the end of the day, cats are not really supposed to live indoors all the time, I find it quite cruel myself, even though it's necessary sometimes and owners have no choice due to living in an apartment. But generally though, if there's access to a garden, I think the cats will appreciate having an outdoor life too. Try not to worry too much, I personally would be more worried that a cat can never experience an outdoor life at all...But that's my personal viewpoint. (Plus, you never have to deal with cat litter again! lol)

It's up to you at the end of the day.

· Registered
169 Posts
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for your response - and I fully agree with you that I would love them to go outside. I'm just worried about electric fences, dogs, cars, razor wire etc etc
Hmm, well that does sound quite dangerous. I don't know the environment you're in, the worst thing i need to worry about where i live are cars. I hope you find some solution...

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
At the end of the day, cats are not really supposed to live indoors all the time, I find it quite cruel myself, even though it's necessary sometimes and owners have no choice due to living in an apartment.
Someone should call the authorities, most of us are being inhumane and cruel to our poor kitties.

I suppose we should let them all out tonight, as a group, and see how many survive the cars, coyotes, mean people with bb guns, cold weather, sweet-tasting antifreeze, etc. etc. etc.

My poor little inside kitties. :(

· Registered
8,949 Posts
Hmm, well that does sound quite dangerous. I don't know the environment you're in, the worst thing i need to worry about where i live are cars. I hope you find some solution...
I'm assuming that you live in England or somewhere similar. It's not the norm to allow cats outside in the US and in fact most shelters have a clause in their adoption papers that cats will be strictly indoors.

It's not safe in most areas to let cats roam.

· Registered
169 Posts
I'm assuming that you live in England or somewhere similar. It's not the norm to allow cats outside in the US and in fact most shelters have a clause in their adoption papers that cats will be strictly indoors.

It's not safe in most areas to let cats roam.
I have noticed this. It seems strange to me. Cats are pretty adaptable and will learn when to run from danger. But, I don't know america so maybe I should not comment. It seems anything I say is seen as an offence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.