Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone,

I just moved to a new apartment with my partner this past weekend. I have my 2 cats, and he has his 2 dogs. Everyone is actually getting along very well, but I'm having an issue with one of my cats that I could use some help with.

My little man Goober has lost some weight over the last few weeks. He normally weighs about 12 lbs, but I weighed him this morning and he dropped to just under 11. My method isn't all that scientific...I stand on the scale by myself, then pick him up with me, so it usually varies a little bit, but I think that a full pound difference warrants a mention.

My partner moved into my old apartment with the dogs about 2 weeks ago in preparation for the move, and that's when this started. I know that he hasn't been eating like he usually does, and I'm sure it's due to the stress of the move. He was cowering in a corner for the first couple of hours after we moved in. Once the cat tree and toys arrived, he got better, but he's still very tentative around food. The dogs like cat food, so I've had to move the cats' food up onto the tree, which is a new place for them. My other cat Dax weighs the same as he did before, but he's much more outgoing and adaptable than Goober.

Goob's behavior is the same. No change in litter box habits, he found his spot in the bathtub to lay in, and he's even a little more social.

My question is, what can I do to entice him to eat more without spoiling him? The unfortunate thing is that just after he gets used to this place, I have to leave him with my parents for 2 weeks because I have a trip planned. All of this travel is very unusual for me, and things will settle down when I get back. I feel bad for the little guy, but I'd like to make it as easy on him as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe try feeding him by himself in the bathroom a few days? With new apartment and new animals, there may be just too much new stimulation for him to settle down comfortable to eat. Right after we moved, Lola seemed to eat a lot better if I let her eat under the open dishwasher door. Sounds cooky, but I guess she felt more protected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts