Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on moving soon. Is it safe to take my 14 year old cat with me? I'm worried that the move could affect his health. I could leave him in the house he is in now with my parents, but really want him to come with me. Thanks. :roll:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chase, the best way to find out is to take your cat for a geriatric exam at your vet's and get his opinion. Your vet may feel that your cat is in good enough health where moving wouldn't pose a problem or he may feel that the move would put too much stress on him and affect his health.

Good luck! :wink:

·
Banned
410 Posts
I am assuming that your cat stays inside? I would do what Jessica said. Also I think that cats eventually like to investigate new surroundings. I have moved with my cats a zillion times--they hide at first and when they come out they walk real close to the floor (I call them low riders--because their legs look real short!). Also, Feliway is a spray that is supposed to be calming to them. You could spray it in the new place before you take kitty in. Let us know what you decide!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree with many of the hints you got. But I'm extremely cautious. I think it would be best to keep him in for at least two weeks, or even better, make him a house cat only. He's getting a bit old to duck cars. I hope you don't think I'm being unkind; I lost a much loved cat because he was one step too slow. I haven't allowed the cats I have now outside at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice! :) Charlie is always kept indoors and he actually just had a check up. When I asked the vet about the move he was just kind of vague and didnt really say yes or no so I thought I would get more advice here. The move wouldn't be anytime soon I just want to be prepared.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts