Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat, Maxine, showed up here about 5 years ago. She was living feral in the woods behind our house. I tamed her over a period of about 3 years. Now she is very tame and comes inside whenever she wishes. She doesn't bother anything and has never had an accident indoors. She loves to roam the woods and hunt.

We are moving to town and I won't leave her to fend for herself. I plan to keep her indoors until she is accustomed to the new home. She doesn't like other animals or people other than my husband and me. I know she will be frightened by the small-town neighborhood people and animals.

I wonder what I can do to make the move easier for her. I love Maxine and want her to be happy. The new house is large and has a full basement, so she will have lots of room if I keep her indoors. There is adequate space for cat toys and scratching post in the basement if needed. Should I keep her indoors when I know she loves the outdoors?

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
She initially will cry at the door. Dont give in. I have a simular experience with a cat at my sisters house. He is in 95% of the time. He hates to use the indoor cat box so he cries to use the out of doors & with will come right back in.

He disappeared for over a week after his indoor best buddy had a stroke and i had to put him down. My sister was out of town for the month. Once i got him to come home i refused to let him out. There was a lot of crying and scratching at the door but i wouldnt concede. He eventually gave up.

Having a cat tree, window seat, attention, toys & treats she likes, helps give her the quality of life she will need to be happy and content. At about 7 years old, she will be more of a senior acting cat which is a plus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.