Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be great if we could have a section that could give out tips or answer questions about moving and vacationing with cats. How to take care of the stressful cat during a move? What policies do other counties have about importing your cat? What forms do I need to avoid quarantine? How do I make sure my cat doesn’t sneak out when we are vacationing? Etc… etc…

I think it’s really important for cat owners to know how to move and vacation with their kitties in order to avoid frustration later on – and unfortunately I’ve not found any forums or message boards that discuss these issues.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Depending on where you will move I think there's different rules. However I also read that the rules are being changed now since the risk for rabies is less and less and at least a country like Sweden is going to stop the quarantine rules from imports from the US.... but not sure when that will happen yet or if it's already taken place.

The best would be to talk to the embassy of the country you are going to move to and ask them about the rules, what vaccination shots you need and if you need to have your cat in quarantine or not. The cost for quarantine is pretty high, so it is important that you find this out before you leave, or you might end up with some nasty surprises.

If you fly, you also have to make sure you have all the vaccination shots that's needed for any country you will pass through, even if it's just a few hours layover in another country. The flight itself shouldn't be too problematic, but the longer flight the more thought needs to be done. Ask the airlines you will be flying with to ask about their rules and policies. Some want you to book a flight for the cat and let you keep the cat in the cabin (if there's no allergic people that's booked a flight, then the cat will most likely have to fly in the luggage compartment). How long layovers there will be etc is important to know, so you know if you need to make sure your cat gets food and water.

No real answers here, but at least a few suggestions of stuff to think about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts