Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving into a new house next week located about 3 blocks from our present house. We have a feral cat that adopted us about 2 years ago that is outside about 90% of the time. Another feral cat that adopted us about 3 months ago. The third cat we have had for 12 years and never goes out.

Will the outdoor cats stay around the new house or try to get back to the old house?

We presently live on a cul-de-sac and I don't worry about the cats getting hit by a car. The new house is located on a busier road and I am worried they will run out to the street and get hit by a car.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is NOT an option. We tried to get the first feral cat that adopted us 2 years ago together with the indoor cat and it was a disaster. Terrible fights. Both are neutered males. Even tried the feliway which did not work. Our 12 year old cat finally became the Alpha cat 3 years ago when our 18 year old diabetic cat went to the rainbow bridge. He has no intention of sharing the house with another male. Now when we bring the outdoor cat in the house, we lock the 12 year old in the bedroom for a few hours.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I suspect your cat will try to go back to the old house. About 30 years ago, we had an indoor/outdoor cat (Tiffy). She was outdoors during the day in the summer, but came in at nights, and was inside day and night during our cold Canadian winters. Times were much different (and safer) back then, and indoor/outdoor cats were the norm.

We moved about 3 blocks away when Tiffy was 12 years old. Each and every day, she went back to her old stomping grounds. Our former neighbor would call and tell us Tiffy was back and we would go to retrieve her. We would keep her inside a few days, but as soon as we let her out again, she would be back on her travels. We finally let her do what she wanted. She would go back to our old house and/or the neighbor's yard during the day, where she felt at home. Our former neighbor, who loved cats, fed Tiffy during the day and we would retrieve her at night. After a few years, Tiffy finally came back to our new home on her own at night, but it did take a few years.

So, if you can't keep your cat inside at least for a little while, I suspect she'll go back to her old territory. If safety is an issue and you can't keep her inside, then perhaps an outdoor enclosure might help, if that's an option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so worried about this. I keep having nightmares that the cats will disappear or something worse. I wonder if putting cat nip down in the garage would keep them around ?

I am just trying to do everything I can to insure this move will NOT be a disaster for these loving friends.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Larry

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I remember reading - and I'm not sure it's correct - that cats are more attached to territory than to people (sad as that might sound). Susan's experience seems to confirm this, so if you move close enough where they can still get to their territory, it might be that they keep returning there, no matter what you try to do to get them to stick close to you. Still, catnip or whatever other lure you can think of can't hurt. Is it possible to have some sort of enclosure for the ferals? Do you have any idea what the people moving into your old place are like? Or were there other neighbors who'd feed the kitties? If you couldn't get the kitties to come to your place, at least that might ease your mind about what could happen to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts