Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about moving my bedroom to the basement. My brothers used to have that room but they have both moved out. The basement consists of two rooms, one used to be a living room, then a game room. The other room was my brothers' bedroom. I would be allowed to have both. It would be awesome because I could put the THREE cat trees now shoved in my normal sized room, into the game room.

As things are right now my room contain all of their things like food, litter box, cat trees, toys, etc. We have a young dog who we want to keep away from their food and poop so my room is gated off. The dog does not go down the stairs into the basement for some reason, so far we have been happy with that since it's a mess down there and he'd be sure to find something to destroy down there. However once I move down there and clean it up I'd kind of like the idea of him being able to come down too.

The bedroom in the basement has a long counter across one wall (it's a big room). I figured I could feed them up there, the dog won't be able to get it. The second problem then is the litter box. Do you think the cats would dislike the litter box up on the counter? They would only be able to get into it and bury their stuff from one side. Another side would be right at the edge and the other two would be against walls. So do you think they would have trouble/ an aversion to using the box up on counter?

My second option (which I just thought of, I'm liking it better than the counter top one) is to bring the gate down and gate off the game room where their cat trees will be, and put their litter box in there. That way I can have all their toys safe in there too. That might be the better way to go.

And do you think the cats will have trouble adjusting to their stuff being in the basement? My bedroom has been theirs since I brought them home, so do you think moving their litter box and cat trees and food down there will upset them? I might try and leave one cat tree up in my room, we'll see how my parents feel about that since I'm sure mom will want to do something with that room.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Cats adjust much faster and easier than we give them credit for sometimes.

I like the second room much better than the counter idea. The whole idea of moving down there sounds great.

·
Registered
801 Posts
As long as they haven't actually been cooped up in your room since you got them, they shouldn't have any trouble adjusting. ^^

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I move my girls' trees/toys/etc. around from time to time. Muffs gets a little upset at first about any major shuffles, but she's back to normal within an hour or two. Abby doesn't bother at all. So, I suspect your cats will be fine.

As for the litter box, I wouldn't leave it on the counter. If they were ever startled for some reason and tried to go bounding out of the box, the cat and the litter box could come crashing down to the floor. I doubt you or the cats would like that!

Do you know your dog would bother with their litter box (i.e., has he done so in the past)? I don't have a dog, although when I did have a dog and a cat, the dog never bothered with the cat's box. If it does become a problem, then I'd go with the gate. Alternatively, only allow the dog in the basement when you can supervise him, and train him to stay away from the box.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dog has only been in my room twice, with supervision, after I clean it so he can't steal anything (especially cat toys). I always clean the box before letting him in too. If he shows interest in it I distract him from it. One of the times I took the gate down was because we had a big party and I wanted to be able to take him away from the chaos if he got overwhelmed (he is fearful of strangers). I walked into my room at one point and he was standing in the box digging up pee clumps. Luckily there was no poop in the box for him to eat. And he loves to eat rabbit and squirrel poop outside, so I'm fairly confident he'd like kitty poop.

So I think I'll go with the gate into the second room with their stuff in there, I think that'll keep everyone happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts