Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a sincere question. Im concerned about moving twice in a couple months because I have cats who are older indoor only cats. I know Younger kitten aged cats would adjust fine. But my 7 year old boy is very much a mommas boy and is very skiddish to unfamiliar things. And my Baby Ra is 4, but has a tendency to go on hunger strikes if her atmosphere becomes stressful. I’m worried they won’t fully recover. These are not just cats, they’re my kids and family. I do have a younger kitten, she has no fear and loves new experiences. She thrives if she can explore. It’s the older two I’m truly concerned about. Should I do whatever it takes to try only moving them once? Please help, this situation has come very unexpectedly. So I’m looking for cat parent vets who can honestly help me.
Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,381 Posts
I've moved 5-6 times since adopting my girls (all inside). My last move was 500 miles with three cats ages 11 (twins, one of which had a leg amputated shortly before the move) and 12. I'm not sure if you're asking about the actual move or getting accustomed to a new place. My girls were very skittish during the first couple of moves, but loved exploring the new places. Moving (packing, etc.) was a little stressful for them because they knew something was going on, but that didn't stop them from jumping into every box I was trying to fill. For the last actual move/drive, I did get some sedatives from my vet. They weren't knocked completely out, just enough to make them sleepy enough not to bother to meow. For 500 miles.

For Ra, in anticipation of her hunger strike, I would ask my vet for an appetite stimulant. They really do work, and I think just having it ahead of time will ease your mind a little.

I actually moved twice in ONE month with my first, most skittish cat. She adapted pretty quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've moved 5-6 times since adopting my girls (all inside). My last move was 500 miles with three cats ages 11 (twins, one of which had a leg amputated shortly before the move) and 12. I'm not sure if you're asking about the actual move or getting accustomed to a new place. My girls were very skittish during the first couple of moves, but loved exploring the new places. Moving (packing, etc.) was a little stressful for them because they knew something was going on, but that didn't stop them from jumping into every box I was trying to fill. For the last actual move/drive, I did get some sedatives from my vet. They weren't knocked completely out, just enough to make them sleepy enough not to bother to meow. For 500 miles.

For Ra, in anticipation of her hunger strike, I would ask my vet for an appetite stimulant. They really do work, and I think just having it ahead of time will ease your mind a little.

I actually moved twice in ONE month with my first, most skittish cat. She adapted pretty quickly.
Thank you for your reply! I will look into the vet meds to ease the moves and for Baby Ra and her hunger protests. I appreciate you. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
26,381 Posts
You're very welcome. Keep asking questions as the move progresses. We've all been there and we all worry about everything with our babies. I got home late last night and I felt like my girls were looking at me as if to say, "So. Was Happy Hour worth starving us for two hours???"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're very welcome. Keep asking questions as the move progresses. We've all been there and we all worry about everything with our babies. I got home late last night and I felt like my girls were looking at me as if to say, "So. Was Happy Hour worth starving us for two hours???"
LOL! They absolutely want to know why you were gone too long. I get the same looks when I’m at my moms for dinner or holidays. And then I’m given the cold shoulder from Ra and Cayce when they realize I smell like dog and infant man cub. I make nice with treats, they’re really quick to forgive me.
I’ll definitely keep posted as new developments arise or land on my head lol. I’m counting the seconds till we will be in a beautiful home built just perfect for us. :)

Ps ... happy hour is definitely worth the disapproving looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would just make sure you take any beds, blankets etc that have their smell on them and are familiar and loved by them so stuff feels like theirs. Also try and be there to spend as much time with them as possible so they also feel safe. Not sure but they may do just fine!

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it's possible, I'd clear a room in the old place and shut all the kitties up in there on moving day, so they'll be out of the way until it's time for them to go. Ideally--if the distance isn't too great--get one room in the new location furnished first, then put everyone in there while you unload and move the rest of your things in. You could give them a moving box or two to amuse themselves in.

I've had 3 cats at various times that did a lot of moving with us, especially the one I had when I first got married. We lived in 5 different states all over the country, and never had a problem with her adjusting to new homes. The last time it was from NY to Texas, and 10-yr-old George rode in my husband's lap the entire way . . . what a trip! o_O

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts