Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be moving at the end of the month to another province, which is about a 24 hour drive away. We'll be taking our two kitties with us - one of them is a big scardy-cat and hates car rides (she seems bent on howling the entire way). Does anyone have any advise about taking them in the car with us and how to keep them calm? How long to drive for before stopping? Kitty-breaks during the trip? I know some of you have done the long car trip, so any advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh wow. i was just going to ask a very similar question. not as long of a car ride (9 hours) but two kitties, and i was wondering what i could do. i wonder if the vet could give me a sedative so they can go to sleep and not yowl the entire ride or something?

·
Registered
983 Posts
there are sedatives, i can't remember one off the top of my head, but it's yellow paste and my breeder gave it to me to calm Marsh down, since our drive home was about 3 hours... not your 12, but still long.

But Marsh was awesome in the car, he slept all the way home on my lap, even not really knowing us at all as being a small kitten to boot.

If i remember the name, i'll post again. Something "..... vac".. "medivac"... "pedivac"...

good luck :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
excellent. basically i just wanted to make sure no one would look at me like i was nuts for asking for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks. i talked to my vet this morning and she is going to give me some sort of pill, both my cats are ok with pills, and it will be sort a kitty cat valium. so now its just going to be getting them to adjust to the new house and all that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
cats on trips

We had to move a momma and her babies about 200 miles. At first they were pretty upset but after only about half an hour they all settled down and went to sleep. hope your trip goes well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts