Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually going to be a LONG move in the summer, going to Texas from Wisconsin.
I know I can let the dog out at rest stops and such to potty, but will the cat survive the trip without the bathroom?
I HAVE to drive, I cannot fly.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Buy a large dog crate. Big enough to put a litter box on one half and a cat bed on the other. You can buy a hampster water bottle or a bowl that hangs on the door.

Grocery stores sell disposable litterboxes by Johnnycat that are plastic and already have litter in them. You just peel off the paper top and put it down. Buy those for when you stop at night at the hotel (and for the crate). They can just be pitched in a trash can after use.

Is moving still a sure thing? I thought there was some question as to you being able to leave home.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moving is a nearly guaranteed thing. My mother will be gone in June/July, and my dad works all night and sleeps all day, besides, he wouldn't try and stop, so yes june july the main obstacle will be gone, which was the planned moving date anyway. I can just get my fiancee's parents to help, which they will, I'm 99% sure they will. So there will be nothing stopping moving.
We'll just have to make sure we find a hotel that allows pets in it. ;-;
Do most hotels, if they allow pets, allow dogs AND cats?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
It was 7 years ago, but when I moved cross country with an ex husband (he wasn't an EX then), a cat, and two dogs I found Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites always took pets. I never specified that we had a cat though. We just put him from the large dog crate into a smaller pet carrier to transport him from the SUV to the hotel room (I didn't want to just carry him in case he wiggled loose and took off in the middle of no where).

Before we left we had EVERYONE microchipped and registered everyone with a pet tracking company (at the time we used Home Again) to be sure if someone escaped we'd be able to get them back.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Darn 5 minute edit window!!

We put his litterbox in the bathroom and shut him in the bathroom until we settled for the night. That is he'd stay in there until we walked the dogs, ran and got some food (to bring back to the room), and settled in for the evening. Then we'd let him out into the main part of the room and put up a dog gate in front of the bathroom door so the dogs didn't get into the cat litter box. We didn't push and only drove for 8 hours a day (5 day trip) so he had 4 nights like that. He handled it like a champ!

WE used my cell number as the contact # for Home Again so they could reach us easily, even on the road.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh certainly getting microchipped. Panda and Zoe both need shots still (getting zoe's one month early) and they'll be microchipped then. They both also have tags with my cell number on them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
two tips that i found very helpful when i moved several states away with my (then) two cats are:

-- either have them microchipped or wearing collars with tags that have your contact info on them during the whole move.

-- if you're moving by traveling in a vehicle, always make sure all the vehicles doors are locked when you're opening the carrier/crate to give kitty food or water or other. cats are so very fast when they want to be, and there is a definite risk of someone opening one of the vehicle doors only to have kitty scoot out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently took my two cats halfway across the country by car. The drive was supposed to be about 18 hours, which I split into a 10 hr and an 8 hr day. We stayed at a Motel 6.

Before the trip I purchased a large metal dog cage that came with a divider (for when the puppy is small). I rigged it up to actually become a shelf so if my cats wanted to separate from each other there was a second level. I just covered this shelf with a towel.

About 2 weeks before the trip I took my cats on a trial run in the cage. I transported them to the car via their individual pet carriers, then locked myself in to transfer them into the bigger cage. Before the trip I did a lot of research and read a lot of horror stories about cats being loose in vehicles. I can't imagine how I would feel if my cats escaped and became lost. I think it is vitally important to always have them completely contained.

As far as the trip goes, they did great. I had draped a blanket over the cage so they would feel safer, but left a little place open where they could see me. I had purchased a water bottle feeder, and attempted to teach them how to use it, but neither had any interest.

When we arrived at the hotel, I checked in with my personal belongings first. I also had their litter box in the trunk, and I just carried that in first so they would be able to relieve themselves right away. I used their individual carriers to transport them again to and from the hotel. In my research I also read about cats becoming stuck in hotel beds, so make sure to check on that before you set your cats loose. Both my hotels had open frame beds, so that was not an issue for me.

The second day of the trip, I hit a deer, and the cats were in their cage for 13+ hours. I was concerned at the time, but they were pretty much unfazed. The cage also kept them very safe when I hit the deer. I can't imagine what could have happened if they had been loose.

Basically, if your cats are good travelers in general, a long trip will probably not be too difficult for them. If they get carsick easily or are prone to nervous vomiting/peeing/defecating, just be sure to bring cleaning supplies. If the move is necessary, you can't worry about it too much. They will eliminate enough eventually that they will stop. As long as they can settle within 48 hrs, they will probably be okay. It might be nice to have them checked out immediately at your destination if they do have a lot of diahrrea or vomiting, just to help with dehydration.

Good luck!

PS: my trip was considerably easier than I had expected (except for hitting the deer), so don't let people tell you that you can't travel with cats!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts