Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about 6 months we have a very big move coming up. Right now my cat is almost flight ready. All he needs is his mircochip which I have to get at the base veterinary clinic. I also know all the rules and regulations for getting him out of Japan and into America. There are some things I'm worried about though..

First off it's a super long flight and we will likely have a short layover in Hawaii. I've already looked into kennels there because Hawaii has very strict policies for importing animals. After a few days in Hawaii we will be heading to Orlando FL where our car has been in storage the last few years. I'm not sure how many connecting flights we'll have but at least one, probably more.

After arriving in Florida and picking up our vehicle we are going to spend some time traveling and visiting family since we haven't seen them in several years. Here's my question. I've looked around and found what looked to be good kennels for cats in the area that we will moving too. I was thinking that we could drive there first, leave Leo with the kennel and then do all our traveling and visiting. My family has 4 large dogs that are inside 90% of the time and Leo pretty much hates dogs with a passion. Also my Mom wasn't really thrilled when I asked about a litter box. She asked if he could just go outside but honestly I think he's going to be so spooked and stressed that he'd just run off. My husbands family isn't exactly cat friendly either. Add to all this the fact we'll be spending large amounts of time in a car and he hates car rides. It makes sense to kennel him right?

I can't get over the fact that it makes me feel SO guilty to even consider it. I want to do what's best for him and I believe that it would be staying in a kennel for a couple of weeks while we do our traveling. But then I think that maybe I've just convinced myself that it's the right thing because I think it's going to be a pain traveling with him(and I really do think it's going to be a giant pain in the *** ). Then I start to worry and wonder if he's going think we abandoned him. I also wonder how he'll act when we go get him. I mean I take him to the vet and he punishes me for it for days. I can only imagine his temper after all this.

If you were in my position what would you do? Kennel or try to find a way to make it all work?

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
I think the kennel is the best idea. Between the flight and layover in Hawaii, the last thing he'll need is added stress involving dogs and even more travel.

You'll worry and feel guilty, but he'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'd kennel. It'll be a shock to be in a kennel but it'll be ONE shock and he'll get used to it. Rather than all that traveling and new people and animals that will be weeks of new shocking experiences (and I'd wouldn't let him outside as the parents suggested. I think he'll run off).

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd kennel him. He'll be okay- most cats are absolutely fine in a cattery. One of my girls, Tammy, loves the cattery- and she HATES other cats.

It's only short term and is much less stress than constantly moving Leo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts