Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whether this is in the right section or not.

I have a question about moving with cats. I have moved short distances (10-15 miles) and taken trips to the vet. But never any long distance.

I am considering moving from Michigan to Flordia. Basically a 24 hour trip if you don't stop on the way. I have three cats to get there. Along with a turtle!!

How exactly do you move that far with a cat? Should you stop frequently or overnight? How big of a carrier should they have for a trip that long?

I need help!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've had lots of experience moving cats; we've gone back and forth from California to Colorado (about a 22 hour trip) 7 times over the years. (You'd think I'd learn, wouldn't you! :oops: ). Actually, I have learned a lot about traveling with cats, which I'll share with you.

Plan to make one stopover at a motel. Ask for a handicap room, because these have enormous bathrooms where the cats can be let out of their carriers yet still safely confined while you rest. Food, water, and litterbox can go in there. Don't let them out in the room; the beds usually have just a little space where they can get in underneath and you'll need a forklift to get them out. There is a good website, www.petswelcome.com, that lists pet-friendly motels. They have a hard copy book, too, which I take with me so I can find a motel in wherever I find myself when I get tired.

I use one carrier per cat, a regular size; big enough so they can turn around and curl up in, but it doesn't have to be huge. I don't feed them the morning of the trip, for two reasons. One, if they get carsick, it isn't a huge mess, and two, so there's nothing coming out the other end, either. I did once put two kittens in one carrier, but they were littermates and small enough that it would work.

Plan to make one stopover at a motel. Ask for a handicap room, because these have enormous bathrooms where the cats can be let out of their carriers, yet still safely confined while you rest. Food, water, and litterbox can go in there. (Don't let them out in the room; the beds usually have just a little space where they can get in underneath and you'll need a forklift to get them out.) Leave the food out for an hour then pick it up so they will have empty tummies when you get going again.

If you plan it right, they don't really need to eat, drink, pee, or poop during drive time as long as it isn't more than 12-15 hours at a stretch.

More tips on the actual move can be found in our library, http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ithyourcat

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. I'm supposed to make this decision by the end of the week. One factor in all of this is how the kitties will do with the move. I don't want it to be the worst thing in the world for them! Ecspecially because there is a chance I could move down to Flordia and then in 6 months or so move back to Michigan or to another state.

·
Registered
88 Posts
we're headin down south too! We're moving to FL in July or August. We might fly with Little Peanut just b/c 20+ hours in the car would be torture for her.

Has anyone flown with cats before?

and where in FL might you go? It's Tampa or Palm Beach for us!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you may be able to fly with a cat as a carry on. When my mom picked up her new puppy she flew with her from Oregon to Michigan. As long as she was small enough to fit in the carrier under the seat they said she could bring her on. I woould think the same thing would apply to a cat.

I would be moving to Lake Worth, Flordia. I beleive it is near West Palm Beach and about 45 minutes away from Fort Lauderdale.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'd also like to know if anyone has ever flown a cat. Especially if it involves crossing the border into Canada..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I looked into flying with cats and wanted to share what I found: USAirways will let you bring them as a carry on for $100 each way providing they can fit under the seat in front of you in a carrier. And it must be a "normal" household pet. There was all kinds of stuff on there about int'l travelling, I found it easily under their "Travel Info" if you need to find out about going to/fro Canada.

FBod-we ALMOST went to Palm Beach! now it looks like we'll be on the opposite coast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I looked into flying with cats and wanted to share what I found: USAirways will let you bring them as a carry on for $100 each way providing they can fit under the seat in front of you in a carrier. And it must be a "normal" household pet. There was all kinds of stuff on there about int'l travelling, I found it easily under their "Travel Info" if you need to find out about going to/fro Canada.

FBod-we ALMOST went to Palm Beach! now it looks like we'll be on the opposite coast.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone heard of medicating the cats for travel? A friend of mine said that his vet gave him some kind of tranquilizer when he moved his cats. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't like to tranquilize cats for travel. If you're flying, you absolutely cannot, because the drug makes it impossible for the animal to regulate their body temperature. Plus, I don't think it helps the animal that much. They are quieter, but they're still afraid, and they feel weird on top of that! Cats who get massively stressed could benefit from it but not most.

I just ran across this website that has lots of terrific info on traveling, all modes--www.ramblincat.com. It's very interesting and contains good, practical advice.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm primarily worried about my oldest cat. She is nine and every time we have moved she gets very panicked. I have only moved short distances too. She usually ends up panting, etc.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Try flower essences; Rescue Remedy at the least, even better would be Adjstment or Ultimate Adjustment (www.spiritessence.com). Give it in food and water starting a week or two ahead and continuing a couple of weeks after you're in your new place.

I had 2 old cats who moved many times with me. They were absolutely horrible in the car. One of them bit the other one's ear tip clean off on one memorable car trip. Then I started them on flower essences. I hardly could believe my own eyes how calm they were; it was night and day. Instead of howling, I got one "mew?" one time, not another peep the whole drive, and they walked into the new house like "Oh, so that's where everything went!" No hiding, no stress. Fantastic. Highly, highly recommended! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dr. Jean I have another question......

Can you tell I am REALLY worried about my kitties during the move?

What if they get sick or something while I am driving? How would I tell? Like I said my one cat tends to pant and one time she was like hyper ventalating. What if they get really sick when I am driving?

I suppose there is no way to tell that this could happen, but I just want to prepare. Does each state have emergency vet numbers or something? There is one right by me thats why I ask.

Do you know anything about turtles? I am not getting much help from the web site I am registered at. I want her move to be smooth too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts