Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will soon be closing on our new home and probably moving within a month. I am worried about RayRay as he is blind and his health is no longer the greatest. He came to live with us in this house when he was about 14 years old. At that point he could still see somewhat. I believe he is totally blind now and although the new home is about half the size of this one I am worried about him. The stairs to the basement go down into a small room where we will be keeping the litter boxes. I intend to block off access to the rest of the basement. I would like for him to have full access to the rest of the house - it's a 3 BR ranch. Do you think he will be able to get himself to the places he needs to be if I keep putting him in the most important places (food, litterbox) and letting him find his way from there? Any suggestions to make things easier on the old boy?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Congratulations on your new home! I have no experience dealing with a blind cat, although I would imagine RayRay relies more on his sense of smell than do other cats...just like blind people rely more on their other senses (my father is blind and that's what he does). The issue there will be that, once you move, the smells in your new house will keep changing for the first few weeks. That is, a room filled with furniture and boxes smells one way. As the boxes are unpacked and the furniture is arranged, the smells in the room will keep changing, until such time as you have things organized.

So, to help RayRay, you might consider (if possible) keeping him in a safe room for the first few days or week, until you have the house in order, whereupon the smells will then remain constant and RayRay can start to learn his way around. You might also consider putting a temporary litter box on the main floor for the first little while until he's able to navigate in the new house.

Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
159 Posts
So, to help RayRay, you might consider (if possible) keeping him in a safe room for the first few days or week, until you have the house in order, whereupon the smells will then remain constant and RayRay can start to learn his way around. You might also consider putting a temporary litter box on the main floor for the first little while until he's able to navigate in the new house.
This. If a constant environment is what he needs, then he should enter only when everything is in place rather than when everything is still moving around and adding extra stress and confusion. I'm sure you guys will figure it all out together and RayRay will use his expert nose to map out the house! Good luck to you and congratulations! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts