Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are moving to Alaska in a year, and I know thats still a bit of time from now but I would really like some moving tips for what to do with Tyger. This is sort of our plan.

We refuse to ship any of our animals, we will ship all of our stuff and my car up there through my husbands dads company American Fast Freight and then we will be driving up there in the truck. We will have a camper by then so we can bring the animals and camp on our way up. So what I'm thinking is I will build a sort of hutch inside of the camper with NIC cubes for our bunny Grendel. Maya will be in the car. But we are at a loss of what we should do with Tyger. I was thinking of maybe getting a harness for her and having her ride in the truck with us, either that or have her in a kennel while we are driving and then when we stop to camp have her on the harness when we are outside and stuff and then keep her in the harness in the camper. I'm not really sure. I just don't want her to run away or something on our way because this will be at least a week driving trip only stopping for the bathroom, to eat and to sleep. I'm kind of wondering what we should do about a litter box and stuff, because how do you tell when a cat has to go to the bathroom??? Any advice or ideas are welcome!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
We only had a 2 day trip from TN to MA in a moving truck. The cats (2) were in carriers and were let out to roam the cab when we stopped every few hours. We had a disposable pan and they would use that when the needed at the rest breaks. If my cats had tolerated a harness I might have just had them leashed/harnessed in the back of the cab, but they wouldn't wear them.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I reads somewhere about a woman who camped and traveled with her cat all the time - she had a little setup for him inside her tent, plus a litterbox and leash. I would think that a carrier for the cab of the truck, plus another larger enclosure which he is used to and likes for hanging out in the camper or outdoors if you are cooking on a camp stove and hanging out outside. Plus a harness for safety?...

It will be interesting to see what others suggest...:) Fran

1 - 3 of 3 Posts