1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magnesium -2.1 (1.8-2.4)
%Reticulocyte - .01
Reticulocyte - 9 (3-50)
Spec fPL - 1.8 (<0 = 3.5 UG/L - Concentration is normal)
ALK. Phosphatase - 61 (0-62)
Alt SGPT - 52 (28-100)
Alt SGOT - 21 (5-55)
CK - 173 (64-440)
GGT - 0 (0-6)
Amylase - 1116 (520-2060)
Lipase - 10 (10-195)
Albumin - 3.1 (2.3-3.9)
Total Protein - 7.0 (5.99-8.5)
Globulin - 3.9 (3.0-5.6)
Total Bilirubin - .1 (0.0 0.4)
Direct Bilirubin - 0.0 (0.0 - 0.2)
BUN - 22 (15-34)
Creatinine - 1.4 (.8-2.3)
Cholesterol - 206 (82-218 )
Glucose - 100 (70-150)
Calcium - 9.2 (8.2-11.8 )
Phosphorus - 4.4 (3.0-7.0)
TCO2(Bicarbonate) - 13 (13-25)
Chloride - 122 (111-125)
Potassium - 4.8 (3.9-5.3)
Sodium - 152 (147-156)
A/G Ratio - .8 (.4-.8 )
B/C Ratio - 15.7
Indirect Bilirubin - .1 (0-0.3)
NA/K Ratio - 32

WBC - 11.3 (4.2 - 15.6)
RBC - 8.65 (6.0-10.0)
HGB - 13.7 (9.5 - 15)
HCT - 41 (29-45)
MCV - 47 (41-85)
MCH - 15.8 (11-17.5)
MCHC - 33.4 (29-36)
Neutrophil SEG - 82.5 (36-75)
Lymphocytes - 11.7 (20-55)
Monocytes - 2.3 (1-4)
Eosinophil - 3.5 (2-12)
Basophil - 0.0 (0.0 - 1)
Auto Platelet - 72 (170-600) *Scanning of the blood smear revealed adequate platelet numbers. Due to clumping, the automated platelet number was not accurately determined.

T4 - .8 (.8-4.7) * Cats with subnormal T4 values are almost exclusively euthyroid sick or over treated for their hyperthyroidism. Older cats with consistent clinical signs and T4 values i the grey zone may have earl hyperthyroidism or concurrent mon thyroidal illness. Hyperthyroidism may be confirmed in these cats by adding on a free T4 or by performing a T3 suppression test. Following treatment with metimazole, T4 values will generally fall within the lower end of the reference range.

Here was the Vet's email to me (with the above information attached):

Here are Mow Mow's labs. His chemistry panel is normal indicating normal liver and kidney function and normal electrolytes and protein levels. His thyroid level is borderline low but this value fluctuates throughout the day so I am not too worried about it. Sometimes thyroid hormone production can be suppressed due to an underlying illness elsewhere in the body. His CBC shows that his platelets are clumped but still adequate and his lymphocyte count is low, which is likely stress related. His urinalysis shows that his urine concentration is low at 1.013, normal is above 1.040. This could be secondary to his high moisture diet or emerging kidney insufficiency. I recommend a urine culture to rule out occult urinary tract infection. We have a sample of his urine saved so we can submit this without collecting a new sample if you'd like.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I don't see anything of particular concern in MowMow's bloodwork. The high neutrophil and low lymphocytes can both be caused by stress, though they may also indicate bacterial infection. After reading your other thread about MowMow's recent fever, it sounds like he had some sort of infection that the antibiotic has taken care of. If you do decide, however, to go ahead with the urine culture, I strongly recommend you have a fresh sample taken by cystocentesis so that you don't get a false positive result from the previously collected sample. If it were me, though, I'd forgo the urine culture for now and see how MowMow does after the antibiotics.

Laurie

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you do decide, however, to go ahead with the urine culture, I strongly recommend you have a fresh sample taken by cystocentesis so that you don't get a false positive result from the previously collected sample.
Laurie
Is cystocentesis not painful? I'm not usually squeamish but I don't think I could watch that happen.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Well, no cat particularly enjoys being stuck with a needle, but the needle used for cysto is small gauge. The problem is that free-catch urine is often contaminated with bacteria that can cause a false positive on a urine culture. The only way to get accurate results is with a fresh sample collected by cysto.

Laurie

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, no cat particularly enjoys being stuck with a needle, but the needle used for cysto is small gauge. The problem is that free-catch urine is often contaminated with bacteria that can cause a false positive on a urine culture. The only way to get accurate results is with a fresh sample collected by cysto.

Laurie
Would the same not apply to humans? I've never heard of samples being extracted with a needle.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input. I do think Im going to wait on the Urine Culture. I agree that they should pull a new sample and frankly I don't think he could handle any more stress. Starting at his last vet visit he's been sneezing lik crazy. I don't know if it's sudden allergies or all this stress has pushed him in to a FHV outbreak. He's on L-Lysine(day 3) but it got so bad yesterday I ran to Rite Aid to get him some children's Benadryl. It didn't STOP the sneezing (which makes me think it's FHV) but it slowed it down enough to let him get some MUCH needed sleep. We were both up all night on Friday night with him sneezing. He curled up at my feet and zonked out for about 9 straight hours yesterday. When he woke up he was ravenous and got his L-Lysine and Orbax in his dinner and I gave him another Benadryl. She zonked until about 2:30 this morning and woke me up wanting mom loves. He hasn't bugged me for attention in about a week. He could NOT get enough kisses and neck scratches at that ungodly hour.

It shouldn't be a cold, he's been on a full round of Orbax (today is his last day).

For now he seems to have his appetite back and other than the sneezing is fairly normal. I can tell it bothers him though, especially when it's a fit of 6 or 7 sneezes in rapid succession. Another reason I got the Benadryl was he keeps rubbing his nose with his paw and it was SO raw yesterday morning. I just wanted to give it time to heal a bit.

I just want him to feel better. He's still not sassing and beating up (or humping) his brother or running around so I know he's not 100% yet. I'm getting more nervous about leaving him over Christmas, I'd like to get him back to 100% ASAP so he's prepared for that stress.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Try putting him in a steamy bathroom for 15-30 mins twice a day and see if that'll help drain his sinuses. That should help ease the sneezing at least temporarily between steam treatments.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Dweam!

Laurie, I don't know why I didn't think of the steam bathroom. I do it for myself all the time when I've got a cold. I went in with him and a DvD. We sat in there until the water ran cold. I timed it 30 minutes before his dinner hoping it would open up his nose so he'd be excited to eat. Sure enough he scarfed down every bite and is sleeping so deeply now that I can pick up his leg and drop it and he won't wake up. It's the deepest I've seen him sleep in a long while. I am THRILLED he's finally getting a little relief.

Just to cover the allergy bases I washed all the sheets/blankets/cat beds and did a lloooonnggg vacuum of the carpets. I tossed all my dollar store candles (just read that the cheapo candles can contain terrible toxins) I used to burn at least 3 or 4 of them for about an hour each night. I sprinkled baking soda on the carpets and vacuumed a second time. I also washed the kitchen and bathroom rugs and mopped the floors with vinegar/water mix.

He was awake and alert for the majority of the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts