Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew. Mozart is recovering now in our bathroom. What a morning. I was a nervous wreck.

Last night Hubby took Mozart for a walk outside, and let him eat some grass (not supposed to let him!) :roll: Mozart started hacking every so often, but it wouldn't come out. After doing a search for other stuck grass cases, I decided I would wait for his regular vet. I watched him most of the night for any extra distress.

At office opening time, the vet was able to see him immediately. 40 minutes later, she showed me a 3 inch piece of stalk she removed from near his larynx. She's also concerned about his right lung, maybe inhaling some seeds, but couldn't find anything on the xrays. He was such a good boy, and only growled at the receptionist.

So we're watching him like a hawk over the next week for lung infection. Meanwhile, he already looks happier, and I'm hearing footsies under the door as I'm typing this, so he must be feeling better. What a relief. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, I'm sooooooooo happy he his okay! :D You must have been so scared! :cry: May your little Mozart continue to get better, sounds like he his :D Get well wishes sent your way! Susie

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Superkitties, do you prevent all of your kitties from eating the grass or is it just Mozart? My cats LOVE eating the stuff!
I'm so glad to hear that he is okay! I wonder how grass can even get stuck in there? Well, I hope you guys the best and hopefully he has avoided an infection.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your kind words! :D I'm so much better. I knew you would understand how I was feeling, my friends here don't know why I care so much about "a bunch of animals".

Oh yeah, I was just beside myself, but at least I knew exactly what he had this time. I hate being so helpless to help my little guy. He sounded just horrible hacking like that. Then near the morning, he was hacking up a tiny little bit of pink saliva, so I knew something was either raw or punctured. I was freaking, thinking about taking him to the emergency room. Thankfully it was almost vet time, I didn't want to take him to another vet.

QOTN, I let them eat our lawn grass, that's ok. It's the stuff outside our own yard I don't let them eat. Foxtails, purple fountain grass, and other bad things with hard stalks and spurs. I have kitty grass for them to eat inside too, but I've also heard of cats getting that UP their nose too. 8O :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know what you're saying about your friends and the "bunch of animals"thing. We must have the same friends :D I Theycan't help it they don't have the taste for the finer feline things :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kitty's just seem to love their greens don't they. I tried the indoor grass thing but they prefer my plants. They are all non poisonous and they have their favorites it's obvious by the chewn torn leaves. I grow catnip now and parsley, so they have left the plants alone(For Now :D )
Mozart is soooooooo beautiful as are all your cats! Boy when their sick it just about makes YOU sick, doesn't it?!
I'm happy for you all! Susie

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Glad to hear Mozart is ok now. I know I get to be a real worrywart when anything happens to my kitties. I don't let my cats eat grass outside just b/c I don't know what is on there and plus I don't want them puking inside my parents house, they would not be happy campers :lol:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've been paranoid-edly watching Mozart all week, and no weird breathing or anything, so I'm hoping we're completely out of the woods. I'm still bothered by what the extra drag in the right lung might be. Tomorrow is his last day of med, so that will be a relief to both of us.

His purr is not the same, though, and I hope it's just temporary while things heal. I love my little purr-motor.

Just for Pamela, here's what purple fountain grass looks like. Mozart chomped off a stack similar to the one in the second pic. That little brat needs to CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP on everything, edible or not, to test it out. We don't know how he managed to swallow it, but cats can't spit things out, so once he had it in his mouth, down it went.

EDIT: restore broken pic links

·
Registered
27 Posts
MAN!! That's unbelievable that Mozart managed to chomp and swallow that!!!

Glad he's doing better though! Grin. Cats sure like to give us grey hair! :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
What a little rascal - happy to hear everything is fine :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts