Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, tomorrow I'll be bringing in a new kitty about 8 weeks old. I know its sooner than we should take them from the mother but it's not my choice. If I don't take him now, someone else will.

Marty is almost 1 year old, he has never been around other pets since i got him. I know for a fact there will be hissing, so Im expecting that. But do you guys think Marty would attack the little fella? I'm afraid he might hurt him...

Marty is pretty aggressive, mostly my fault because i always rough played with him since I first got him. Still do actually...
But im hoping he will be more of a big brother to him :catsm

Im going to get him his own litter box, food and water tray.
Or do you think they should eat out of the same tray? Would that help Marty see him as a little brother or whatever?

HELP PLZ!! :idea

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Dmos,
Marty's aggressiveness may well be a problem for the new kitten!
Since you have played rough with Marty, he has nothing to base 'Gentle' on...
My fear is he may well indeed attack the kitten and seriously hurt him...if he is hurt, it can set up a life of fear for the kitten and because of that, he will always look like 'prey' to Marty and be constantly attacked...

In my humble opinion,
I would wait to bring home a kitten until you have re-trained Marty...
Playing rough with a cat, usually, unfortunately leads to other
issues...
Do you really want a new cat to live in terror...?

I hope others chime in with some ideas for you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( What if they are constantly being watched? Or separated when no adults are around to watch them? Will that help Marty get used to it?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
you CANNOT leave them alone together....that is a disaster waiting to happen....to the poor defenseless kitten

introducing a new kitten is a very SLOW process...with supervision. maybe do a search on here....its been talked about...alot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I did a search for it using the forum search but not really helpful, came up with pretty random stuff. As long as its not impossible...It doesn't matter how slow the process will be. If there is a real chance then I will definitely go for it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Probably not, even watched cat fights can break out in an instant and they aren't the easiest things to break apart.

I agree with everything 10cats2dogs said. I think Marty needs to learn some proper kitty manners before you bring in such a young tiny kitten. It might be different if it was an older bigger cat who could defend themselves, but even when he's just playing, he can cause some real damage by accident.

If you do really want to bring in this new kitten now, they are going to have to be constantly supervised, I don't think I'd trust him alone with the little guy, accidents happen. I'd also wait to go through the introduction, keep the kitten isolated and see how Marty reacts to having the smell around. I know a lot of the time, when they're both kittens just plopping together can be fine, but Marty is almost one and aggressive, so I'd go through a proper, slow introduction.

Definitely don't give them the same food tray, that would do the exact opposite of what you'd want. The little kitten would just look like he was taking Marty's food, and Marty might lash out. Separate bowls for sure.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
he may....he may not. every cat is different and since you have always rough housed with him....his process may be a bit longer. some cats never get along and just tolerate each other

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
he may....he may not. every cat is different and since you have always rough housed with him....his process may be a bit longer. some cats never get along and just tolerate each other
one more thing.....you might want to do a google search on Jackson Galaxy....i know some members have posted links for him. ive watched his show...before i even had cats (i love cats...:crazy) my cat from ... i cant list the name of the show....but do a search...he is our cat god. his shows have a wealth of information....search him...and start reading....lots

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow! This has totally opened my eyes to what could have happened! Good thing I came on here for advice first..now im not sure if I can go through with it tomorrow =/

I mean I really want another cat so they can play with each other and stuff, but I definitely don't want to risk the new guy getting hurt by Marty. Im not saying that he's violent but he does play rough. Sometimes too rough even for me heh..so I can definitely see how things can go bad easily with the new kitten.

Especially since Marty is not even declawed. I just feel bad doing that to him. I tried the gel nail caps but he just takes them off. If they are glued he'll bite the the whole tip of with nail included.

EDIT: I've watched that show on netflix. My cat from... Ive seen quite a few episodes actually. Ive tried some of his stuff on Marty..but i think Marty is just a grown man trapped in a cats body. Nothing works on him lol

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
im not a lover of those claw caps....i just keep my kitties nails trimmed and have 3 scratching post things for them.

im not sure what to tell you :( a cat closer in age might be more appropriate?? but you need to work a lil with marty first. is he fixed?

your marty...is that him in the picture....hes gorgeous!!!!

please do a search on jackson galaxy....he might even be on youtube.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that's him thanks! I think Im going to call the person with the kittens and cancel that. Id hate to even see them fight. Also no he is not fixed. Wasn't planning on it but I've heard that they don't actually hurt them at all? If that's true then I definitely will very soon, especially since he will "spray" if we get another pet (?).

I'll do a search for Galaxy asap!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I mean, it's nothing against Marty, he's probably a wonderful cat, but 8 week old kittens are generally tiny compared to 1 year old cats, and so a full grown cat who plays rough could cause the little guy a lot of damage, or fear. So yeah, if he can get too rough for you, he's too rough for an 8 week old!

Everyone has made the mistake of playing to rough with their cats. Just try to recondition him not to play so rough. Stop playing when he gets too rough and reward him when he's gentle.

I might also recommend a cat who's around 1 or 2, who might be bigger but more gentle than Marty (a shelter would have a good idea for you) who would be a potentially good companion and help in teaching him manners (but I'd still do some teaching on your own first). Also new kitten or cat, there is no guarantee that they'll be best buds and love to play with each other. They may end up only tolerating each others company, or they might become best friends, it's always a toss up with cat introductions.

Just a quick edit, I'd definitely recommend you get him fixed ASAP! Getting a male fixed is like the least intrusive surgery ever and they're usually fully recovered within a day or two. It could help a LOT with his roughness, and energy, and he might start spraying even if you don't get another pet. But yeah, if he's not fixed it's more likely he'll be more aggressive with any new comers on his turf, tom cats are VERY territorial.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Dmos,
Can you handle Marty's feet?
If you can, I would suggest you trim his nails...
Even if its only one or two at a time...give Marty a VERY special treat, one he won't get otherwise, unless he's had a nail trimmed!
Its something good he can associate nail trimming with.
Only the tips need to be trimmed-You do not want to cut into the quick!

Dmos, I just also want to thank you for your honest assessment of Marty's personality...:thumbup:

I know its hard to resist a kittens antics, but those happy kitten antics can only take place, when the kitten feels safe!
To me there's nothing much sadder, than a kitten that's fearful and all it wants to do is hide.

Another cat might not be a bad thing, if its older, around same age, is mellow around other cats AND has confidence...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yes that's him thanks! I think Im going to call the person with the kittens and cancel that. Id hate to even see them fight. Also no he is not fixed. Wasn't planning on it but I've heard that they don't actually hurt them at all? If that's true then I definitely will very soon, especially since he will "spray" if we get another pet (?).

I'll do a search for Galaxy asap!
i dont have experience with male cats....marshall is my first (i've always had females)...and hes fixed. YES male cats will spray.....i think it is healthier for them to be fixed...might ...i said might...calm him down too

and i think....male cats will spray....regardless??? i could be wrong on that.

while your searching for jackson...i would also search on that topic too :) i think its healthier to spay/neuter.

others will be chiming in with their opinions......we have LOTS of opinions on this forum :crazy

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Dmos,
Getting Marty neutered will help a number of things!
Don't worry, Marty won't turn into a 'girl'!!
And if he hasn't started spraying yet, the sooner you get it done the better!
An unaltered Tom will definitely be territorial, even cats that are seen outside can be seen as a threat, leading to spraying inside the house...
Not good and stinky to boot, very hard to clean away all of it.
Since you are considering adding another cat at some point,
getting Marty taken care of now, will be a blessing in disguise for the new addition!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mean, it's nothing against Marty, he's probably a wonderful cat, but 8 week old kittens are generally tiny compared to 1 year old cats, and so a full grown cat who plays rough could cause the little guy a lot of damage, or fear. So yeah, if he can get too rough for you, he's too rough for an 8 week old!

Everyone has made the mistake of playing to rough with their cats. Just try to recondition him not to play so rough. Stop playing when he gets too rough and reward him when he's gentle.

I might also recommend a cat who's around 1 or 2, who might be bigger but more gentle than Marty (a shelter would have a good idea for you) who would be a potentially good companion and help in teaching him manners (but I'd still do some teaching on your own first). Also new kitten or cat, there is no guarantee that they'll be best buds and love to play with each other. They may end up only tolerating each others company, or they might become best friends, it's always a toss up with cat introductions.

Just a quick edit, I'd definitely recommend you get him fixed ASAP! Getting a male fixed is like the least intrusive surgery ever and they're usually fully recovered within a day or two. It could help a LOT with his roughness, and energy, and he might start spraying even if you don't get another pet. But yeah, if he's not fixed it's more likely he'll be more aggressive with any new comers on his turf, tom cats are VERY territorial.
Jakiepoo, I totally understand. It's just my WANT for a kitten for Marty was so bad that I needed to get on here and ask you guys for advice hoping to hear something good but deep down I knew Marty was too rough. Which is my fault of course :sad2 You guys give great advice though! I don't need things sugarcoated or whatever. So you think getting a cat that is around the same age would work out better? I mean, wouldn't the fights be more intense? I just want a buddy for Marty :catsm

Dmos,
Can you handle Marty's feet?
If you can, I would suggest you trim his nails...
Even if its only one or two at a time...give Marty a VERY special treat, one he won't get otherwise, unless he's had a nail trimmed!
Its something good he can associate nail trimming with.
Only the tips need to be trimmed-You do not want to cut into the quick!

Dmos, I just also want to thank you for your honest assessment of Marty's personality...:thumbup:

I know its hard to resist a kittens antics, but those happy kitten antics can only take place, when the kitten feels safe!
To me there's nothing much sadder, than a kitten that's fearful and all it wants to do is hide.

Another cat might not be a bad thing, if its older, around same age, is mellow around other cats AND has confidence...
Yeah I think I'm going to go with an older cat instead. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that Marty hurt a kitten whether it was intentional or not.

==================================================

This is a photo of Marty. It pretty much sums him up.

& These are the KITTEHS!!!! :party

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Dmos,
Your Marty is truly a Character!!
;):D
Ah yes...I can see why the kittens grabbed your attention...very sweet!

You sound like you got your head as well as your heart in the right place!
If you really want to add another cat, I think you'll think it through and choose wisely! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah you guys have put my mind back on track! Definitely going to go for an older cat instead. Maybe some other time in the future I can have kittens again..which of course leads to having more cats...i can see where this is going already..siiighh..the addiction. lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts