Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what happened. Today was going great, then all of a sudden it turned in to one of 'those' days.

We had been quite busy. I drove home from work (1 hour commute #2, drive to work was also 1 hour.) picked up Muffin and drove back to the library. I'm hosting a program with Muffin as the guest in late September, today was our first practice visit to the room.

We hung out at the library for about 45 minutes. Then headed for home (1 hour commute #4), stopping at PetSmart on the way. While at PetSmart we wandered around. Muffin played on the cat posts, tried to steal toys and catnip, stared at the birds and fish. The usual.

I picked him up, just the same way I have a million times before, and he cried. I was startled so I asked him what was wrong. He cried again, shifting his weight in my arms and mewling. I set him down very carefully, wondering why he had cried. He was limping! He was hardly putting any weight on his right hind leg. I quickly finished getting what I needed at PetSmart, watching him carefully. He stopped limping within about 3 minutes. Then wanted to go back and wrestle the cat posts. We went home.
I let him out of his kennel at the car, like normal, and he trotted to the gate like nothing was wrong. He went right into the house, no problems.

I picked him up to set him on the table so I could feel him over and he cried again! Well, that was it. I phoned all the local vets, no luck. I phoned my vet's clinic and they could get me in. Great...another 1 hour drive each way. *sigh* Oh well, off we go. Cancelling evening plans and phoning Muffin's dad to let him know what's going on.

We get to the vet clinic, but our normal vet isn't there. The vet we saw is clearly not a cat person. He flinched everytime Muffin moved either his paws or face near to the vet's hands. Lovely.

The vet checks the normal stuff, heart, ears, mouth (wincing *sigh), lungs, ect. No problems. The vet goes to feel Muffin's leg and Muffin howls. He asks if it was the right that was hurt, I said yes. He 'hmm's, feels the right leg. Muffin howls. Muffin's now sore on both legs, but since he's so tender the vet can't do any manipulation or really feeling anything.

...Muffin is now being sedated for x-rays as I hang out at work, doing nothing. Awesome. I totally needed another gigantic vet bill. At least I work at a library so there's lots of books/computers to keep my mind occupied. If I could focus. I hope Muffin will be ok, my poor little Muffin-man.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Hope it's just a minor strain or pull and nothing serious. Maybe he did it on one of the cat posts in the store?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that, catloverami, but he didnt do anything on the store posts he hasn't done at our house over and over again.

I'm hoping it's just some sort of strained muscle and that I'll just have to give him pain meds and an antiinflammatory, and keep him calm for a few days.

*fingers crossed*

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hope it's nothing too serious.
Regarding the vet, why on earth would they employ someone so useless around cats?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ Huge, I have no idea. Hopefully he was better with dogs, but I don't know. He also tried to prescribe 4 days of metacam! Yeah right! Then he glared at me for asking for tramadol instead. Bah.

The xrays weren't super helpful. On the positive side there's no breaks or fractures. He said it did look like the right femur wasn't sitting in the hip socket properly, but it wasn't out enough to be dislocated or w/e. He said it was likely it's just a strain of some sort, and with some anti inflammatories it'll calm down and he'll be fine.

Anyways, I did get tramadol instead of metacam. Muffin had a pretty fun night after we got home. He was pretty high, his depth perception was waaay off. He stumbled his way out of the kennel, Doran came over to give him a sniff and promptly started grooming him. Very sweet.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I hope Muffin gets better and you don't get too stressed out over it.

I wouldn't know not to give my cat metacam if it weren't for this forum.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
I hope Muffin feels better soon!!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm not surprised at your vet's dismay at your request for Tramadol. Your vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory, and unfortunately, Metacam is the only anti-inflammatory (that I know of) that is labeled for any sort of use in cats. That's why so many vets use it on cats. Tramadol has no anti-inflammatory action. It is exclusively a pain killer. It's a very difficult situation, because cats can't tolerate anti-inflammatories well.

Laurie

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Muffin's been really feisty today, so he's at least feeling better. He still doesn't want me to feel his hips too much, but he's been very good about taking his pills.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Muffin's been really feisty today, so he's at least feeling better. He still doesn't want me to feel his hips too much, but he's been very good about taking his pills.
I'm wondering if 1 of his rear claws got caught in the scratching post at the store and he wrenched his hip.
Might want to look at his claws, most people never trim the rears and they might be really long.
Glad he's doing better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts