Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mui Mui is our new additional to the family.
She is 3 mos old, she is still being introduced to my two 1 yr old male cats.

She is sleeping in our bed now, when she get bored at night, she will play with my hair, and eat them. She will also scratch my head.

I have been redirecting her everything. Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is your hair wet or dry when she does this? Khaleigh will run to you after she hears the shower stop and try to climb up your leg just to get at your hair. She loves wet hair, it's cute but can get annoying. Using string or a shoe lace sometimes works but I just turn on the laser and she forgets all about my hair. You could try that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hair is dry when she plays and eats my hair. Maybe I should get a laser pointer. Since she does it in the middle of the night, I would rather no wake up and play with her :(

·
Banned
470 Posts
Close the bedroom door. Most cats don't have sufficient mass or momentum to break through.

Unless you live in Japan.

Never did understand those rice paper doors.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We cant close the door, well I meant, we can close the door, but Mui Mui will have to be in our bedroom because it is the introduction period right now.

Cheetah and Panther stays in the living room and Mui Mui stays in our bedroom.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Ah, does your bedroom have an attached master bathroom? Better not to get them used to the idea of sleeping with you unless you are willing to put up with that for the next decade plus. Thats my thought anyways.

After having a cat step in poop and then rush back to cuddle on my expensive sheets, attack my legs during sleep, and once even eat real fast and then rush back to the bed only to barf up the entire contents of the tummy right next to my head made me reconsider. If not used to sleeping with you ever, you get no complaints. If they are, and then you take it away, you get whiners.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You're on the right track when you say you don't want to get up in the middle of the night to play with her, since doing so would likely only encourage her to play with your hair even more -- figuring that's a good way to get you up. In fact, even by "redirecting" her, you're giving her attention, which is only likely to encourage her to bother you more. I suspect she's just bored. You mention that you're just now introducing her to your other two cats, so I take it she's not allowed out with them overnight yet. Once the three of them are able to be together at night, they will likely keep each other occupied and you and your hair will be able to have a good night's sleep.

In the meantime, I would play with her for 10 or 15 minutes right before bedtime and then give her a meal right after you play. If she's tired out and has a full tummy, she will hopefully stay content until the morning. If she does wake you up, I would just do your best to ignore her. If all else fails, you can consider putting her in another room if/when she disturbs you, so she learns that playing with hair does not lead to good things.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's understandable that you don't want to wake up and play in the middle of the night especially because that will encourage unwanted play time, but if you take a laser pointer and shine it on the floor for even a couple seconds and then make the laser dot go under a dresser or night stand your cat will be too preoccupied trying to find the dot that she won't be worrying about your hair.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Tuffy used to do that - he sleeps on a pillow right above mine, so my hair is right there, he would suck on it - knead it - play with it - I always thought it was because he thought I was his cat mommy -ha! I thought it was cute even though annoying at times. He grew out of it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Malley also used to chew on my hubby's hair! It drove him bonkers. I spent alot of nights waking up and pulling her away from him for about an hour or so until she fell back asleep. She grew out of it though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hahaha koobe ... I wish I had a good idea for you here.:)

I am laughing because I used to wake up after a sound sleep with Serena only to discover I had bangs but I hadn't gone to sleep with bangs.:kittyturn
Or I'd find short pieces of hair but there hadn't been any the night before.

All of this happened while I was sound asleep. This went on for years. I lived with the short pieces. I didn't have much of a choice because I wasn't consciously aware of her doing it.:catmilk
Oh dear. I would say shoot her with a water pistol in the face! I hate to be harsh, but I would teach her that hair is a giant NO-NO.

Because only now that Serena sleeps soundly through the night are my bangs finally growing out.:smile:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the meantime, I would play with her for 10 or 15 minutes right before bedtime and then give her a meal right after you play. If she's tired out and has a full tummy, she will hopefully stay content until the morning. If she does wake you up, I would just do your best to ignore her. If all else fails, you can consider putting her in another room if/when she disturbs you, so she learns that playing with hair does not lead to good things.
Susan, thank you for your suggestions! I have the turbo track out for her before she goes to bed last night. This is her first time seeing a turbo track, and she was playing it for a good 30 mins. My hair was safe last night.

But this morning, she bit my toes and my hands (okay, today is my day off, I slept in) and it went on for good 10 mins. Man, she is a trip! She wants food!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of this happened while I was sound asleep. This went on for years.
Missy! I can't believe you let that happen for years! Unless you think your kittie is the best hair stylist in the world.

I am glad you figured it out now.
I hope the playing before bed trick works. I really do not want to get up and have an activity with my kitten.

Oh by the way, I asked my vet about it, he said "No, no way to avoid it, wear a shower cap or get a skin cut." Mmm....I love my vet, but that is not what I want to hear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Missy! I can't believe you let that happen for years! Unless you think your kittie is the best hair stylist in the world.

I am glad you figured it out now.
I hope the playing before bed trick works. I really do not want to get up and have an activity with my kitten.

Oh by the way, I asked my vet about it, he said "No, no way to avoid it, wear a shower cap or get a skin cut." Mmm....I love my vet, but that is not what I want to hear.
I should have said, it wasn't like she was a professional stylist, leaving me with a row of bangs.:p I would wake up with a piece or two of hair that was shorter. I would be puzzling in front of the mirror, saying ... "Was that there the night before ...?" but eventually realizing it wasn't.:smile: She didn't do it every night, either. She would surprise me some nights. Eventually I guess she finally grew out of it. I don't know if she thought I was a kitten and needed grooming; I'll never know.:kittyturn
I think the reason your vet said that is for those of us who want to sleep with our babies but are sound asleep when it happens and are fully unconscious when it happens; there really isn't a way to avoid it except to use a shower cap! I used to try to bury my head into the pillow, ha.:catmilk

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have the turbo track out for her before she goes to bed last night. This is her first time seeing a turbo track, and she was playing it for a good 30 mins. My hair was safe last night.

But this morning, she bit my toes and my hands (okay, today is my day off, I slept in) and it went on for good 10 mins. Man, she is a trip! She wants food!!!
You might already know this, but in the wild, cats daily go through a cycle consisting of four activities, in a particular order. First they hunt, then they eat their prey, then they groom to remove the scent of the prey from their bodies (so they don't attract larger animals and become prey themselves!), and then they sleep. Domestic cats go through the same cycle, except the "hunt" is replaced by playing...so the cycle becomes: play, eat, groom, sleep. I always try to keep that natural cycle in mind, and I've always found that my girls sleep better through the night when I replicate that cycle. So, I first play with them and I then feed them. They will then settle down to groom, and then they sleep through the night (no doubt they're up at times, but they don't wake or disturb me).

Also, I never feed my girls when I first get up in the morning, since I heard doing so encourages them to wake you up whenever they want to eat. Instead of feeding them immediately, I first brush my teeth, shower, put the coffee on, etc., and I then feed them after doing all that. Neither of my girls wake me up in the morning. I don't know if that's because I'm just lucky, or because they're not used to being fed first thing, and thus they don't associate my getting up with their being fed. Anyway, if you do feed Mui Mui as soon as you get up, you might try delaying her feedings for a half hour or so, to see if over time that stops her from waking you up whenever she wants to be fed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, I never feed my girls when I first get up in the morning, since I heard doing so encourages them to wake you up whenever they want to eat. Instead of feeding them immediately, I first brush my teeth, shower, put the coffee on, etc., and I then feed them after doing all that.

Same here. I don't feed mine when I first wake up.

I don't have a set routine. I vary it every morning. I don't brush teeth, take a shower, put on coffee and then feed, for example. I will vary it daily so they don't associate any particular time with feeding time. It is never upon awakening, and I try to wait at least two hours after awakening or later. Good luck!:kittyturn

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You might already know this, but in the wild, cats daily go through a cycle consisting of four activities, in a particular order. First they hunt, then they eat their prey, then they groom to remove the scent of the prey from their bodies (so they don't attract larger animals and become prey themselves!), and then they sleep. Domestic cats go through the same cycle, except the "hunt" is replaced by playing...so the cycle becomes: play, eat, groom, sleep. I always try to keep that natural cycle in mind, and I've always found that my girls sleep better through the night when I replicate that cycle. So, I first play with them and I then feed them. They will then settle down to groom, and then they sleep through the night (no doubt they're up at times, but they don't wake or disturb me).

Also, I never feed my girls when I first get up in the morning, since I heard doing so encourages them to wake you up whenever they want to eat. Instead of feeding them immediately, I first brush my teeth, shower, put the coffee on, etc., and I then feed them after doing all that. Neither of my girls wake me up in the morning. I don't know if that's because I'm just lucky, or because they're not used to being fed first thing, and thus they don't associate my getting up with their being fed. Anyway, if you do feed Mui Mui as soon as you get up, you might try delaying her feedings for a half hour or so, to see if over time that stops her from waking you up whenever she wants to be fed.
THANK YOU, Susan! No I do not know about the cycle. I will try that today.

The kitties are usually feed around 8 am. I needs to leave the house at 5:20 am when I need to go to work. My brother feeds them when he wakes up. But when I wake up on my days off, I do feed them when I get up. I need to break this habit. What a good idea!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here. I don't feed mine when I first wake up.

I don't have a set routine. I vary it every morning. I don't brush teeth, take a shower, put on coffee and then feed, for example. I will vary it daily so they don't associate any particular time with feeding time. It is never upon awakening, and I try to wait at least two hours after awakening or later. Good luck!:kittyturn
I have a friend who feeds his cat when he wakes up (not sure if it is immidiately) before going to work. And when daylight saving kicks it, his cat meows him awake 1 hour early. Then he bought a food dispenser try to solve the problem. But the cat is so used to having him wake up, he will meow until he wakes up anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts