Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m a bit new here. I’ve lurked for a bit, and finally decided to post as I’ve got a questions only some serious kitty people can help with…
What’s going on is I’ve got one cat (Felsenthal) who is about 3 years old, 17lbs and 3 ft long. He’s a Russian blue mix and pretty laid back, I’ve had him since March. Felsenthal is extremely needy and vocal which is fine except my boyfriend and myself work long hours. I’ve been wanting to get him a companion but just couldn’t justify it at the moment.

Well on my way home from work on Monday I witness a car dumping a kitten (looks to be about 6 months – a teenager) in my car park. I took this little girl in and washed her, fed her, and attempted to keep them separated… the problem comes that I can’t as my apt is only about 500 sq ft and a one bedroom… and Felsenthal can open doors. So they’re together now, as I simply can’t keep them separated. I’ve got a Vet appointment for the little one (unnamed as of yet) on Friday, but my boyfriend doesn’t think we should keep her.

The result of them being together? There’s really no hissing or vocalization going on, they’ll eat side by side but have the option of using separate food bowls (in different rooms) have different litter boxes, and I’ve come across them sleeping together. But other times they seem to fight, normally it’s a quick spat and as far as I can tell Felsenthal (by far the bigger of the two – nearly 4 times the kitten’s size) has not been using his claws (the kitten does occasionally but not always). The kitten vocalizes with a few hisses and yowls during the fights but not afterwards and there are no injuries (Felsenthal could easily lay this kitten out). The ears are forward about 90% of the time and none get's a puffy tail(though their tails are always moving.).... Both switch between being aggressor and defender, but about 75% of the time it’s the kitten ‘stalking’ and pouncing on Felsenthal. My boyfriend thinks they’re trying to kill each other, personally I’m not sure but I’ve the feeling that this is them playing and arranging the whole dominance thing…

I guess I just need some advice… is my apt too small? Are they trying to kill each other? Can I do this or should I give the kitten up? I just don’t know… I know this is really long and I’ve not posted here before, but I’d really appreciate other’s opinions and experiences…

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Based on my recent experience (we have a 16 week old kitten and a 4 year old cat) this sounds like exactly what we went through and I've finally realized for sure that they are kidding.

I think your apartment will be fine, if it's big enough for the one cat, it'll be fine for 2. Once you start getting into numbers like 3, 4 and 5 kitties, I think you'll need a much bigger space. Actually, I find now that having 2 cats is so much better than one.

The only thing I would be concerned about, but it's probably too late now...is that they really shouldn't have been put together until after the vet was after confirm that the new cat was in good health. You don't want your older cat to catch any kitty illnesses from this new one. I don't mean to scare you, it'll probably end up fine, but in the future you should keep any new cats separatedf from yours until you can confirm that they don't have Feline Leukemia and other contagious illnesses.

Good luck! I really think from what you described it'll be just fine. Especially since it's only been a few days. It took a month before our cats made it to the point that yours are at right now!!! Eating together, geez, we just accomplished that a few days ago! You got lucky! :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... I'll be the first to admit that the whole thing happened on accident. Felsenthal is so much bigger than the little one (as yet unnamed) and the whole disease thing.. I was planning on keeping them apart for weeks(do the slow introduction thing) unfortunatly Felsenthal can open latched doors and it just sort of happened...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
As AddFran, I've been going through the same thing with my 1-1/2 old cat and 14-week old kitten. The kitten was only about six weeks old when we brought him in, but since the first week they were together, they've taken turns being the dominator in their daily wrestling matches. Mine are both vocal, so I hear screams and yelps (war cries, I think!) the entire time they are playing. Unless you hear hissing, I don't think they are trying to kill each other.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh, one of mine hisses and shrieks and screams bloody murder when he isn't "winning" one of their wrestling matches. You'd think he was being ax-murdered. But it's all play. They can get pretty rough, but a teenager can hold her own (and given that she's smaller and lighter, she's probably faster and could get away if she really wanted to!).

Definitely have her checked for leukemia and FIV (kitty AIDS), and make sure she's spayed...but it sounds like she's all moved in! Two cats keep each other company and is really an ideal situation, even in a small place. I had 2 cats in a 300 square foot apartment once and they did fine.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
drjean said:
Oh, one of mine hisses and shrieks and screams bloody murder when he isn't "winning" one of their wrestling matches. You'd think he was being ax-murdered. But it's all play.
My older one does this EVERY time they wrestle, even if only for 15 seconds. The kitten never makes a peep! It's so funny how Franny is incredibly vocal and a hypocondriac (spelling?) as well, but the other so quiet.

I thought you once said you had a cat who was quiet but deadly...that's Addison!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's odd because Felsenthal is the neediest, most vocal cat I've ever seen(as in meowing *constantly*).. but now he's pretty quiet.

As for tonight - they're not snuggling but they're not avoiding each other either. It seems like they're just pretending the other doesn't exist, well when their not sniffing each other's hieny's...

They're quiet when they tussle now, so hopefully everything is ok. The little one (as yet STILL unnamed) has a vet appointment on Friday(she's had it since I first brought her in) so hopefully we'll see if she's chipped and if not well I'll get her squared away with shots, altering, and everything.

I think they make each other happier as I've never seen felsenthal this friendly and relaxed. not to mention quiet!

Anyway, thank you for all of the replies and assistance... It really helped me put my mind at ease about this whole situation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
desree42 said:
it's odd because Felsenthal is the neediest, most vocal cat I've ever seen(as in meowing *constantly*).. but now he's pretty quiet.
sounds like all Felsenthal needed was another playmate! as humans, we can't give cats enough playtime due to our own schedules... he's happier now b/c he can actually wrestle and have real kitty play! mine love playing with eachother too... congrats and don't worry... he'll still love playing with you guys too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to post a follow-up...

The kitten checked out fine at the vet today. No sign of any diseases, issues, or chips (well she's got a chip now..). I will be taking her back in 5 months to get her bloodwork done again to make sure. She's got all of her shots and an appointment at the end of the month to get altered.

As far as her and Felsenthal, they're happy as..well... two very happy cats I suppose. They groom each other, sleep together, and generally stay together 24/7. In fact right now Felsenthal has drug all of the sheets and blankets from my bed onto the floor and they're snuggling and sleeping together.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Aw a happy story :D I think you've been well and truly adopted by this kitten. Has she got a name yet?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story. :D

Dont forget to take advantage of any vertical space for your cats
if you want them to have even more play area!

There are tons of cool cat trees and cat walls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts