Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've found two sweeties that I'm thinking about adopting into my single cat house, but have some concerns - I mean, we've always had two cats [until recently], and that was the limit, but these two...so sweet...can't resist...

I'm anticipating some resistance from my husband, and I have to admit, I'm not entirely certain I am ready to have three cats either (three eating spots, FOUR litter boxes, THREE carriers - three cats in the car to the vet?!), so I'm trying to convince myself, and eventually my hubby, that this is a really good idea. Please help me.

Benefits I can imagine to getting two new kitties (instead of just one):

1. Since we've experienced the two cat dynamic and relationship for years, it might be wise to break from that (to avoid any preconceived notions as to how a Pfeffa and New Kitty pairing SHOULD be). Creating a "kitty triangle" as opposed to the "kitty couple" might help us to accept New Kitty, and not so quickly compare New Kitty to our previous golden boy who was the best cat ever in the world and no other cat could ever take his place (note: having never personally experienced the subsequent adoption of a new cat after one has passed away, I imagine comparisons can't help but occur - at least initially).

2. Two [sibling] cats, who are adopted into a new home with a resident cat who may - or may not - appreciate their attention, might amuse themselves with each other, and tend to leave the resident cat to her own fancies.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry I cannot help! I have the same problem :cry: … my cat delivered four kittens on 1st April, I would love to keep them all with me, but my boyfriend doesn’t agree at all, he wants to keep only one kitten :oops:
I am also trying to find good reasons to convince him!!
It’s not going to be easy for us!
:wink:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have three cats. Before I got Lucas (last cat), my younger female CONSTANTLY beat up on my older male. Since Lucas was a kitten, my girl would play with him rather than beat my older cat up. So I totally agree with your statement about them playing with each other and not bothering the other cat.
I only have 2 litter boxes and it has worked fine :oops: .
Three cats increases the chances of having a lap warmer at all times :wink: .
I do not regret at all having all three of my babies and I think 3 is the perfect number. I know that I am biased :wink: . It really sounds as if you've already made up your mind though, and just want confirmation that it is a good idea.
Oh, and when I take my cats to the vet, my boyfriend and I each carry one and the last one goes in my snuggle sack (baby carrier that straps onto my front).

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
espunkyo,
Cats are easy animals to take care of. The litter box is the biggest problem, but the mega sized Litter Maid would help immensely. If you can afford the food and veterinary care and keep the litter boxes clean, I think it's wonderful to have several little personalities living with you. Just introduce the new kittens gradually to the cats you already have. Make sure their scent is all the same, by exchanging their bedding and putting a bit of vanilla on the back of the neck of each cat. Good luck! :)

Anna, I know how much you love your babies, and can't imagine parting with any of them. However, in your case that would give you five cats. As a former breeder I know how hard it is to see them go. I wanted to keep every one Precious ever had! Ask yourself the same questions about litter boxes and vet expenses I mentioned to espunkyo. If you have the room, the money-and can keep them inside and safe-or in an enclosure that cannot be escaped outside, then discuss it with your fiance. I have had a lot of animals, so I would be the last person to say not to keep them, but those are important questions. Haven't you promised some to your friends? That's something else to think of. But if you still want to keep them all, after considering all of this, discuss it with him. Good luck and keep the pictures coming, please! :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think one of the biggest things that has me worried is that they won't get along and I'll have a house full of unhappy campers. Of course, there's no guarantee that a single new cat would be any better, no matter how carefully introduced - so why not get two?

queen of the nile- I completely forgot the whole lap warmer thing as a major benefit! I'm trying to picture a cat in a snuggle sack, and can only imagine two furry legs sticking out the bottom...But, really, that's quite a clever way to make the vet visit easier!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Another one saying to adopt them! Aren't we just a bad influence? :wink: I think four is the max for us (couple) where we feel like they have as much attention as they want available to them. Ginza is a very needy kitty and clings to me all day, so that's a factor for gauging if you've got enough time for another.

Honestly, I haven't had much impact from having Pixie join the clan a year later. I don't have more noticeable pooper scoopering, cleaning or anything else. I got someone to help bring them all in at the same time for their shots. It's not often that all of them would need to go at the same time; you could always break it into 2 trips.

As for cats accepting each other, you won't know until it happens whether it'll be a smooth intro or a raging war. Just cuddle everyone equally, take the steps for a proper intro, and do what you can to ease the transition. Kayla was really upset at Pixie for a week and refused to eat with her around, so I just made sure to have someone play with Pixie while I fed and kept Kayla company. Just keep on top of stuff like that so everyone's happy(ish).

You may have to factor in higher vet bills when they become seniors, though, so budget for that now to make it easier.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've been told that if the introduction process is unpleasant, it will leave a bad taste in the cats' mouths and they will have a hard time getting along. Yes, the scent is a big thing. Keep the cats separated and gradually introduce them. They need to get used to smelling each other before the can see or make contact with each other.

Don't take things away from your current cat that he is used to because he will associate that with the new cats and may resent them for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts