Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cat food question from me Number 72!

Recently the food my kittens were eating, finally, with no problems, had an ingredient change for the worse, so I am changing them onto Bozita, with a few runny poos along the way, but after a day 1/2 its getting much more solid and 'poo shaped' How exciting.

I have been reading about cat food (which I do a lot as procrastination from Masters level essay I am no good at!) and a few people I have seen recommend feeding up to 3 high quality foods so that if there is a deficiency in vitamins/minerals in one it is made up with the others (conversation started due to a Wellness recall due to deficiencies) and so that if your cat does go off a food, or the ingredients change, you have other food they like.

I have been recommended Animondo Carny (sp?) Smilla, ans Grau (though Grau does have grain :( ) And was considering getting a couple of cans of each with my next Bozita order.

For those who fee multiple, did you intro them all at once to get the tummy trouble over and done with quicker, or would that cause tummy havoc?

Martha xx

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
With wet foods, I've never had any issues just introducing foods right away, however it probably depends on the cat. If yours have shown sensitivity to wet food changes in the past, then slowly introducing each over a period of time might be a good idea.

Although once they've gotten used to all of them, you should be able to rotate them without issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We feed both our kittens 2 brands of food (Wellness and Merrick BG) with multiple flavors of each brand, and Lily also gets Weruva, and occasionally regular Merrick, but Spencer is picky and won't eat those.

I second what saitenyo said - we've never had issues with switching wet foods around, even when introducing a completely new food. (Dry food is a different story, but you didn't ask about that. :)) We are constantly switching between the two brands (3 or 4 for Lily) and different flavors, and we never have any problems. However, if your cat has had issues before, you may want to be more careful and switch over to new brands more slowly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We feed both our kittens 2 brands of food (Wellness and Merrick BG) with multiple flavors of each brand, and Lily also gets Weruva, and occasionally regular Merrick, but Spencer is picky and won't eat those.

I second what saitenyo said - we've never had issues with switching wet foods around, even when introducing a completely new food. (Dry food is a different story, but you didn't ask about that. :)) We are constantly switching between the two brands (3 or 4 for Lily) and different flavors, and we never have any problems. However, if your cat has had issues before, you may want to be more careful and switch over to new brands more slowly.
Thank you :) I will order a few cans of each new brand and mix a little in with their normal food for a while and see how they are :) Its such a shame the old food has changed recipe as now I cannot really mix in 'old' with 'new', just, 'similar to old' and new :(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My girls are the same. They had a bit of runny poo when I first switched them from dry to wet food, but I can now feed them any type of wet food (any flavor or brand) with no problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My girls are the same. They had a bit of runny poo when I first switched them from dry to wet food, but I can now feed them any type of wet food (any flavor or brand) with no problem.
I just did litter boxes and although the poo isnt hard it is definitely more solid now so hopefully this is a good sign. They had chunks in jelly instead of pate as well today which was causing more issues so, *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I just did litter boxes and although the poo isnt hard it is definitely more solid now so hopefully this is a good sign. They had chunks in jelly instead of pate as well today which was causing more issues so, *fingers crossed*
That's good and it does sound like a good sign.

BTW, I meant to wish you a Happy Birthday a few days ago, but I got busy and forgot. :? So, a belated Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good and it does sound like a good sign.

BTW, I meant to wish you a Happy Birthday a few days ago, but I got busy and forgot. :? So, a belated Happy Birthday!
Thank you! I had a good weekend, but my birthday fell on the deadline of the essays I keep procrastinating about, so it was a bit stressful lol :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts