Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boyfriend came home the other day with some pretty yellow mums in a small pot. I have NEVER owned a plant before, and I'm not really sure what mums need. Lots of light or little light? Should I move it to a bigger pot? Should it be outside? My parents were always really into gardening but I never paid much attention.....now I think I should have! I don't want to kill this poor plant!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi again, Maleke! Mums are some of my favorite fall flowers--especially the yellow ones. These flowers do like a lot of sun and grow wonderfully during the summer AND fall. They do quite well in pots, but if you want to plant them outside, they'd do great too. Make sure you keep them well hydrated and trim off dead blossoms to keep new ones coming up to bloom. Only re-pot if the plant gets too big for it's current home. If you want it to grow fuller, place it in as much light as possible and add a bit of miracle grow. Bugs/Caerpillars can be a problem eating the leaves, so use a pet-safe insect killer if you need too. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
As long as your mums are perennials, and not annuals, I would plant them outside, and as lolakitty advised, cut off the dead blooms. Do not fertilize them now, because the new, tender growth would be harmed by frost soon. Next spring, pinching the tops periodically will give you much nicer plants with more blooms. Just pinch out the tiny new growth until the end of June, at least, and allow the plant to branch out. You can fertilize them until they are finished producing new blooms. :) I love flowers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts