Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch the "Must Love Cats" episode last night? There was a segment about cats that spray and the "Meow Wear" you can buy for them to wear which catches the sprayed urine. I know some on the forum were having spraying issues and thought maybe this might work for their cats.
:blackcat

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I didn't see the episode but I have vaguely heard about cat diapers. For most people such a route would be way too much work and far too expensive. The diapers appear to cost over a dollar each, you'd likely need more than one a day, the cat would probably hate them, and the cat would also likely need to be bathed all the time as a result of wearing them. There's also the possibility of the cat slipping the diaper off. Also the possibility of leaks isn't something I'd want to risk either, cat pee dripped around the house would be terrible...

It's a good idea for some animals, but for cats it just doesn't sound like it'd work out well.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I didnt see the episode. Sounds like a good one.

Esp for those people who are not going to get rid of their cats and need options on how to handle a cat which wont quit spraying and they arent willing to give up the cat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Carmel, it wasn't a "diaper" per se. But as you said it would be a problem with urine dripping everywhere. And I'm sure the cat would still have to be cleaned up.
This cat wear was more like a "outfit" type suit with an opening for the tail to be slipped through. A pad is placed below the tail area and that's what catches the spray. It looked like a sanitary pad. It cannot be removed by the cat. See the attached picture. The cats they showed were or at least seemed to be adjusted to it.
They also had a segment on feline kidney transplants. It was an interesting show. Aside from this one segment where groomers were shaving "designs" into the cats fur and then air brushing them with color. I didn't understand what the purpose of that was.
:blackcat

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I suppose it's an option for some people if the cats get used to it, if it doesn't drip everywhere and if you have the time and money to invest in it, but by and large most people with cats that spray don't do that even if they know of that option... they either put up with it, keep the cat confined to certain parts of the house, or give the cat up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I saw that segment. Another use for this type of Meow Wear was to prevent the cat from licking stitches (for example, after being spayed). It seems a reasonable alternative to a cone.
Shameless plug: the organization I volunteer for is going to be on that show on April 14 ("Rude Ranch").

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I saw that segment. Another use for this type of Meow Wear was to prevent the cat from licking stitches (for example, after being spayed). It seems a reasonable alternative to a cone.
Shameless plug: the organization I volunteer for is going to be on that show on April 14 ("Rude Ranch").
Oh do remind us when the show is near the day shown. Id love to try to see your organization's show. This will be great exposure for you guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts