Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My one and a half year old kitty was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur. We were planning on getting a heart ultrasound done but haven't yet. Last night, everything was perfectly normal and then all of a sudden we heard her yowling. We looked and she was lying on her side on the floor, quite stiff, and her eyes were open but her pupils were completely dialated and she was not responsive to stimulus. She then "came back to" and started panting. The episode repeated 30 seconds later. Then she got up on her own and didn't seem confused, but defintley seemed uncomfortable. I took her to the emergency animal hospital, where she spent the night. They did blood work, EKG and heart X-Ray. All I know right now is that her heart is enlarged. I am so worried about her, and felt so bad leaving her there last night. She has never spent a night away from home-even for her spay, since we adopted her at 7 weeks of age. Today they are doing the ultrasound and after that will supposedly be able to give me a specific prognosis. I am just so worried for my girl, not only because of what happened, but also because she must be so confused and lonely, in a cage at the hospital. :(

We also have her brother, he is at home and it acting somewhat depressed. They think she will probably be able to come home this evening, I sure hope so.. I really hope this will be something we can just put her on medication for. Until this, she has always acted like a normal, healthy young kitty. Please sent positive thought for my girl.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Poor kitty, poor you. Sending loads of *positive thoughts* her way that everything turns out ok. Give us an update when you have time.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I am keeping both of you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated on how she is, she is a beautiful cat and hope its nothing serious. <<))

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the kind words. It really means alot..
Now for the update: Chloe has severe Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. This is the most common heart disease in cats. Due to the fact that her case is severe, she is not expected to live long, maybe only a couple of months. She is at high risk for sudden death, and already has some preliminary blood clotting, and "throwing" a clot, is usually what kills kitties with this disease. When I picked her up on Friday, she was definitley not herself, wouldn't eat, etc. She is now eating and pretty much back to normal, coming for lots of snuggles (she is a very affectionate kitty) which is wonderful. I just want her to be happy and comfortable for the rest of her days. She is on 2 heart medications (to slow down the beating of her heart), and gets one baby aspirin every 3 days to thin her blood. I had a very rough weekend, crying every 15 minutes, but I am better now, just trying to come to terms with it. I did find some stories on the internet of kitties that were diagnosed with a severe case and lived for several years. So maybe she will be an exception. She is already an indoor-only kitty, and was never as active as her brother, so restricting her exercise won't be hard. Hopefully she will respond well to the meds and be happy and comfortable for the rest of her life. Thanks again for all the caring words. :cry:

Here is another pic of her with her brother:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis, and I'll also hope for you that she'll be an exception. I can just imagine how rough this has been on you. The good thing is that she's being cherished and cared for as much as possible with you, she couldn't be in better hands.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Thank you for the update. I just wanted to tell you that I know how it feels to cry every 15 minutes for your kitty -- helpless. That's love. I just said a prayer for your sweet kitty. She's an angel. May God watch over you both.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what happened. I am still praying for you both and hope you let us know how she is. Good luck (((=

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm so very, very sorry :cry: I recently lost a cat this this terrible disease only my vet failed to diagnose it correctly when he collapsed the first time. He recovered quickly and had a EKG that was normal. If he had done an ultrasound I may of known what we were dealing with. I sure hope that you can extend your beautiful kittie's life. I will do lots of praying for you both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts