Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 4 month and 1 week old kitten and an 8 year old very laid back cat.

When the kitten is calm and wants to cuddle, they get on great, cuddling and my older cat grooms the kitten.

Problem is my older cat is too tolerant of the kitten. Kitten will pounce at him, bite him, kick him and jump all over him and the cat will give him the odd gentle bite back or hiss (no hard biting from either of them).. but I find myself having to remove the kitten from on top of my cat a lot.

He has so much energy, and is an indoor only cat.

If I put the kitten in another room for bad behaviour the older cat looks for him and scratches at the door because he wants to be with kitten.

Not sure where to go from here. I tell the little one off with a hiss when he's being really bad but it only lasts half a minute and he's back to shooting around like crazy again.

He has tonnes of toys, the best ones I only put out when he's being energetic.. but he gets bored of them... even the play circuit which he went mad for when I got it a few days ago but now he's not bothered.

Hes due to be neutered in 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you actively play with the toys with him? If the toys move around unpredictably it makes it more fun for the cat and its also a great way to bond with him. (They are both adorable by the way!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hes got so many toys. A ball that moves around on its own, a tower with toys attached, a layered ball tower, balls and bells and all sorts, a laser pen (which he loves), the ball track thing in the picture, and when I play with him its a feather and bell on a rod/stick and he loves it. :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the same problem with my females. same ages to start and 3 years later they are still fighting every day. mostly the older stays away from the younger. it breaks my heart but i'm in a jam. when my x left and took the kids, my poor cat was so depressed and i could hear her wailing as i left for work. i got her a kitten for company but that one would constantly attack her, probably just playing. the elder gave her the kitten-pass and the kitten became dominant. the elder can go outside thru electric door so she has some respite. i figure mad here and there is better than being miserably alone all day every day. once in a blue moon i see them napping near each other and that blesses my heart to be sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds to me like your older cat is in love with the kitty. I truly think when they are tired of him they will let him know. Just let them figure it out. One way to wear your kitty out is with a laser light. He will calm down soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts