Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who read this post and try to help with my problem.

I have a 6 year old male cat that I adopted from the pound about 4-5 months ago. He is home alone during the day while I am away at work. When I arrive home he always meows like crazy and I show him as much love as I can before I go to sleep. Hes a bit of a scaredy cat. He's freaked out by slight movements and noises in my house and neighborhood. I have pretty loud upstairs neighbors that scare him as well.

That's a brief description of his surroundings. Now the problem...

He is potty trained and does his business fine and dandy in his litter boxes (he has two of them). But sometimes he decides he is going to pee on the carpet or on the bed and clothes. He's done this a handful of times and it seems to be occuring more often in the past few weeks.

Any advice to what could be wrong?

Is he sick?

Could he be upset? or Lonely?

Maybe he's scared from the noise all day?

Any help is welcome... so please let me know if you have had a similar problem or any advice at all. Thank you so much for all your time and help:)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
UTIs are the most common cause of cats urinating outside the box. A trip to the vet is in order to make sure that he doesn't have one. If he doesn't then we can look at other causes of the problem which may be any combination of the following:
he doesn't like the litter box
he doesn't like the location of the litter box
he doesn't like the litter in the litter box
he doesn't like the depth of the litter in the litter box
he's lonely

There may be other factors, but let's rule out a UTI first and go from there.

Good luck and please keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip to the vet

I just took my cat Wilson to the vet about 3-4 weeks ago. They checked him out and said he looked fine.

I will call and make an appointment though for a UTI this week. I hope he'll be okay.

Thanks for your help. I will definetely keep you updated:)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Does he only do it when you're gone? Then if he's not sick, it could be stress. Especially if there is all that noise that could be bothering him and he is alone all day. After ruling out sickness you could:

1) Try Play therapy before you leave for the day, if he's tired he might not be so stressed when you're not there
2) Try a feliway diffuser, it's supposed to reduce stress

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A urinary tract infection doesn't show up on a general physical exam; a urinalysis needs to be done. This is the most common age for these things, and the symptoms are suspicious. Because he is a male cat, he is more prone to blocking, so this needs to be attended to sooner rather than later.

For more info on litterbox issues as well as urinary problems, there are several articles in our free library at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cat Mr. Wilson has been good as of late.

I cleaned his litter box and changed his kitty litter back to the original brand I bought him when he first came home from the pound. I had switched to a different-cheaper brand after a couple of months.

Since I did this to his litter, he hasn't peed on the carpet or bed or anything. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for now and update you guys if anything happens.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
983 Posts
TrueKnocks said:
My cat Mr. Wilson has been good as of late.

I cleaned his litter box and changed his kitty litter back to the original brand I bought him when he first came home from the pound. I had switched to a different-cheaper brand after a couple of months.

Since I did this to his litter, he hasn't peed on the carpet or bed or anything. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for now and update you guys if anything happens.

Thanks again for all the help!
What litter are you using now, and what were you using when he was peeing outside the box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He originally (from the pound) was using Cedar Fresh kitty litter. Then I switched to the cheap Johnny Cat brand litter. Since switching back to Cedar Fresh he hasn't pee'd on anything. Like I said *fingers crossed* he stays happy:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would call your vet and ask how much they charge for the UTI check - since sometimes it REALLY varries from place to place and state to state - s/he should be able to tell you the exact price. If it's too expensive for you right now - then try to find another vet that is cheaper - if just for this once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts