Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and had joined to ask and discuss after my baby’s issues she was having of weight loss and anemia. Unfortunately on Wednesday the vet felt a mass and X rayed, the X day led to an ultrasound and the ultrasound ultimately led to a diagnosis... of terminal cancer. I’m devastated. She is the first animal I ever owned (aside from family pets) she’s only 5 years old and my absolute angel and pride and joy. I don’t know how to move on once she passes. I don’t know how long she has with us but they said they don’t think she has more than a month. Right now she is still eating an drinking some, still interacting and not hiding. Any help, tips or advice for me during this difficult time would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Oh dear, this is a nasty way to start the new year. And I've written a novel.

If I were you, I would spoil her rotten in every way you know how: her favorite foods, treats, attention, lovings.

The big horrible thought is "how do I know when it's time" because they don't tell us. Always remember that a pet cat is also a wild anmal, and showing sickness or pain or weakness is a death sentence in the wild. So you must be reading between the lines all the time.

Arrange with your vet's front office staff so they know that when you make the call, they should not put you off a week or anything like that. When you make that call, you mean now. If you can, find another pet owner to go with you - driving through tears and sobs is not safe. Plan ahead for what you intend to do: cremation, burial, what, where?

The frequent thing pet owners seem to find is that they think they waited too long to make the call... they don't want to cut short the precious days and hours, so they hope for the best until it all comes to pieces and they then know they would have been better to do this nasty job last week, or at least a few days ago.

I hope this is some help. Just seeing that lovely picture makes me tear up. As an old person, I've been down this road way too many times and it never gets any easier.

Totally ignore anyone who says, "it's only a cat, for goodness sake" - those people are not really your friends, they don't get it at all. They're are like a different species or something!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm so sorry! It's always very sad to see your pet suffering. I don't really know what else to say. Yes, those who say, "it's only a cat," just don't understand.

@eldercat, you wrote a novel?

Again, I'm very sorry. 😭

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much I really appreciate the kind words. My husband is with me but he is taking it just as hard as me I fear but he does not show it as easily. I think this weekend I will prepare the planning but it is so hard. Thank you again and I will take all of your words to heart. It is good to know others know how I feel and that I am not alone in my feelings ❤💔

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Nono, Kitty827, my post turned out to be a novel in length. ;)

Always remember: the Joy of Love and the Grief of Love come hand in hand.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are never alone in your feelings. Just remember that another cat with come along, one just as wonderful as your kitty, (even though it may seem that no cat could ever come close.) It is possible. Prayers for you, your husband, and your precious kitty.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Kitty827, that is so true! And if you think you cannot do this again as it's just too painful, consider an alternative situation:

What if something terrible had happened to you two, and that beautiful beloved cat had to go to the shelter to live in a cage until someone gave her a home...

So when the time is ready, you'll move forward. Prayers.

There is a Rainbow Bridge section here where people post memorials and pictures. It helps.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nono, Kitty827, my post turned out to be a novel in length. ;)
Oh, right. :LOL:

Yes, you will move forward. If you adopt another cat, you won't regret it. They are a blessing. Whatever you do, find time to spend with her, and tell her that you love her (they may not understand what that means, but it always helps me.) I have made a habit of telling my cats that I love them more than twice a day. Again, I'm very sorry that you and your husband have to go though this. 😿

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I’m sorry you’re going through this. My thoughts are with you. I woke up this morning thinking about your angel. Give her a hug from me. What is your girls name?
Regards
Larry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep she has been getting lots of kisses and I love you’s from us and her favorite food and treats. Thank you so much for your kind words it helps more than you know. I do hope I will move on one day because I truly love cats so much; just hard right now since seeing her go through this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are very good to her. You're welcome, it's the least we can do. It is very hard to see our pets suffering. You will move on. Adopting another cat is a great way to honor her life. One day you'll see her again in heaven. That's what my grandfather used to tell me. What's her name?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts