Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat that I got from the Humane Society 4 years ago. Last fall, I moved out of the city to a small rural area. Both my boys (Felix and Banjo) adjusted very easily with no issues about the litter box whatsoever.

However, at the beginning of May, Banjo started not using the litter box when he would do a #2. I hadn't changed the type of litter I was using, the litter boxes have now been cleaned and had all new litter put in but still the problem has persisted.

The people who live in the other half of my house have a cat whom they have just started letting out, coincidentally at the beginning of May. Could that be why he's all of a sudden gone weird on me? He wants to be out investigating as well?? As I am typing this, he's meowing at the front door.

He was pooping on my futon but that stopped once I washed it and he couldn't smell his favourite "poo spot". He was good for about two weeks and now he's started going in the living room ON THE RUG!! :twisted:

Both my boys seem healthy, eating and drinking like normally. They don't get a whole lot of treats (I'm mean I know) and they have toys strewn about everywhere. I am just at a loss as to what to do with Mr. B. It's so disgusting!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am writing a reply to my post because Banjo just did it again. Right on the living room floor while I was in the shower. I have him shut up inside the spare room with a litter box and I am prepared to keep him there for a while. He has water and I'll feed him in there as well plus he has some toys. It's breaking my heart doing that to him but I have now had enough.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome...
It is my opinion, that you should take Banjo to the vet to rule out any medical problems, then we can see about adjusting any behavioral problems, after that.
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there is anything wrong with him though. He eats normally, he drinks normally, he plays with Felix (other cat) normally, he doesn't feel warm, his nose is normal, etc. There is nothing in the litter box (ie: blood in his urine/bowel movements) that would suggest he is sick. Money is a bit of an issue (as it is with most people) and I don't want to go to the vet and have to pay to have someone tell me "yeah your cat is fine". It's so frustrating not knowing what is going through Mr B's brain.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Just reading this through quickly - what jumped out at me is that the neighbors are letting their cat expand his or her territory into the outdoors all around your house! Banjo is feeling stress from this, big time! His house is 'boxed in', in cat terms. He is responding by escalating his claim to the indoor territory by marking it, i.e. leaving poops in key spots that he wants the other cat to know are his exclusively...

Feliway (synthetic cat pheromone) might calm things down a little, or maybe you need the advice of an animal behaviorist (which is different than a veterinarian)...

Fran

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense Fran. And everything ties together, timing-wise with the neighbour's cat and Banjo's "indiscretions". I have people telling me to just get rid of the cat (or even put him down!! Needless to say, the last few days have not been good ones for me or Banjo either) but I'm not willing to give up yet. I'm going to go to the pet store in town that specializes in natural foods, litter, etc. I'll see what they recommend.

I'll let you know how everything fares.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with the aforementioned pet store. She has set aside some pheromones for me that I am going to go take a look at tonight after work. I'm going to cringe a little bit when I get the $$ I am sure but he's so worth it. Once this yucky business is taken care of of course.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Maybe your neighbors could help you brainstorm some kind of compromise or solution, too - if you let them know - so that Banjo isn't so threatened. They may not have given the issue any thought. Most people don't realize that, for cats, territory is everything - way way more important than their people connections.

(Dogs, totally the opposite, as long as they are with their peeps they don't care where they are. So dogs are happy in the car or wherever, and cats freak out the moment they even see a cat carrier!... :roll: )

Fran

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did talk to my neighbour (who is also my landlady) about the problem yesterday. She saw me intro'ing Banjo to the outside (omg mom was a bit nervous!! lol) and I told her a bit about what was happening. I got some St. John's Wort room diffuser tonight and I'm going to give that a few days before I decide my next move, if one is needing to be taken. I think I'm going to get the drops as well but that will wait till Monday or so of next week. I don't want to do too much, too soon. But so far it's been 12 hours of no accidents :) And tomorrow, the litter boxes get overhauled, scrubbed top to bottom.

But again, stay tuned for more. Thank you Fran! And thank you Heidi N Q as well!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
What? Noooo.... :oops: I wasn't helpful at all, I jumped the gun too quickly on the 'take-kitty-to-vet' advice...and I *hate* that...I'm very sorry that I fell into that trap and did it myself. :oops: I think Fran was most helpful and she picked up on the behavioral thing much quicker than I did.
My only defense is that we've had a lot of new members joining and asking what to do w/ a kitty who obviously (to me) needs to be seen by a vet. I didn't put as much thought into my first reply as I should have. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Glad to hear that your landlady is up on what's going on for you and Banjo! I'll be interested to hear how things work out..

The Feliway product, just to clarify a little, is not the same as a herbal or essential oil remedy. Many herbal products are helpful for cats and work the same way as they do for humans - Rescue Remedy, etc. Feliway is actually a cat-specific pheromone which mimics the pheromone that a mother cat gives off around her kittens, the 'all is safe, be calm' message. It comes as a diffuser or a spray. It is helpful in stressful times. It tends to be pricey in stores, so shop around or maybe online might be your best bet. For Banjo, I think a diffuser would be best. Once everything settles down, you won't need to leave it plugged in. We plug ours in whenever we have house guests, since Gracie gets pretty unnerved, especially around loud kids (the cousins :roll: ). It seems to help, she often retreats to the room where the diffuser is, and it seems to help her stay centered...

And Heidi, not to worry! You're right, now that it's kitten season there's just been a ton of new cat owners here and a lot of questions, it's really noticeable. So many issues to sort through for people and their kitties adjusting to new homes, bad kibble diets, health issues, cat rivalries....! I'm glad we all get to support each other.

Fran

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries Heidi :) Any advice is good advice :)

And it is now the second day and no *accidents* to report! Hurray for Mr. B! I definitely don't think he's cured but I'm cautiously optimistic. Though my Gramma comes for a visit this weekend and she's going to bring her 6 lbs. chihuahua (who has an issue about house-training!) with her so this w/e could be verrrrry interesting for Banjo.

Funny thing, I am watching Banjo in the living room and he just went and took a deep sniff of the room diffuser lol. Love my crazy boy ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts