Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My avatar picture will be of my best friend who's name was Lee Chan. He's an Oriental Shorthair pure bred cat. I raised that little guy from 12 weeks old until I was forced to put him down at 9 years old on 9/11 2010 due to Lymphoma cancer. He was the best cat I ever had. I know allot of people say that but with him it is the truth. I'm not belittling anyone else's feelings for their pets. So please don't take it that way. It is not my intention.
Lee taught me how much an animal can love his "person". I was definitely his "person" and he let me know too. The first time I fed him after I brought him home he looked up into my eyes and I felt the connection that formed right then. From then on I was his.
Lee was a very smart cat which is common for his breed. He taught me how to "fetch". One time I took a small piece of paper, rolled it up, and threw it for him to chase. I heard him batting it around and chasing it across the floor just having a good time. I didn't pay much attention. Pretty soon he jumped up in my lap and dropped the paper ball into my lap then looked at me expectantly. So I through the ball again for him and he was after it in a flash. After that when Lee wanted to play he would bring me a "ball".
Do you know how cat's sleep most of the time? If I was around Lee wouldn't sleep unless he was touching me some how. He would curl up on the arm of my easy chair so I had to put my arm around him. When he got tired of that or wanted to get closer he would crawl up into my arms and sleep there for hours. One of the things he would do that I never had another cat do was stare at me and purr. Not a quiet purr either. Very noisy, everyone could hear him. So needless to say he wormed his way into my heart.
The loss of Lee has been similar to loosing a child to me. Since I have no children I can say this because I have no reference. I love that cat. That's why I titled this blog the way I did. When I found out he had terminal cancer I was devastated. People that are close to animals say that euthanizing them to prevent them from suffering is the best gift you can give them at the end. I don't know how noble it is but I sure know it hurts like ****. I do know that I could do nothing else. There was no way that I could let him suffer in any way. I was forced by my love for him to let him go. He was struggling as the vet was trying to inject him so I held him in my arms as she gave him his injection. I felt him go limp in my arms. That is where all the emotion came forward. I don't mind admitting that I cried like a baby. I knew I would never see him again or hear him purr or hear him meow at me. He wouldn't be there outside my bedroom door every morning meowing at me to feed him. I have 8 more cats but none can take his place. Lee's footprint around the house is a big one to fill. Only he can fill that spot.
The tears were all for me and my loss. I knew he was feeling no pain or discomfort. That was the best I could do for him. The only thing I hope is that the after life is true and that he will be waiting for me when I die. I look forward to that reunion, it will be a lovely, happy time.
To all that have read this far, thanks for listening. This is the first time I have told anyone about my feelings for my buddy. My wife knows and I appreciate her sympathy.

Thanks again,
Gary (lgranch)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing your tribute to Lee Chan. Many of us do know how you feel. Despite the fact you have 8 (!) other cats, it is understood how one can be so very special. Nine years is such a short period of time, but yet you and he are so fortunate you had those nine years together. Here's hoping you will get to have that special feeling again with another best friend, even though no one can replace him.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Lee Chan sounds like he was a very special friend. Cherish your memories and I hope someday soon they will give you comfort and cause you to smile. Lee will live forever in your heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts