Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mary, beautiful calico, about 9 yrs old has had a weight problem for years.:patback Her sisters (4 others) are normal healthy weights, but Mary? She was just a little over 22 pounds, thats right, about 3 times the size she should be. I had problems getting people to take me seriously (about extra treats, etc) because "awww fat cats are cute"

I tried a lot of things and just didn't find anything to work, then I picked up a "treat ball" its a ball you fill with treats and they must learn to roll it properly to get the food out. I got 2 of them and put the regular kibble in it instead of treats.

I weighed Mary 4 days ago and she is down between 5-7 pounds!!!:party I was thrilled, but more thrilled when I saw her walk to the couch and jump up on it,:yellbounce with only one try!

Needed to share her success, those initial pounds made such a difference, i can't wait to see her in another month!!! :eek:rcat

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats fantastic! And such a good idea to keep in mind if any of mine ever get to heavy! (I have one who would never stop eating if I just kept putting the food down lol)

·
Registered
348 Posts
i would LOVE to see before and after pictures! You are my motivation! .. well, Mary is Mr. T's motivation! Does she seem happier?

·
Registered
231 Posts
yes, we need before and after pictures!!

My mom's big boy needs to lose a few pounds. My local pet store sells these. I think I'll get one and give it to my mom the next time I see her.

·
Registered
801 Posts
:D YAYY!! I'm so happy for you and Mary, this is a great success!!

Quick question though, when did you start using the ball with her?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I tried a lot of things and just didn't find anything to work, then I picked up a "treat ball" its a ball you fill with treats and they must learn to roll it properly to get the food out. I got 2 of them and put the regular kibble in it instead of treats.
I just purchased some of those treat balls but haven't had much luck in getting my cats to roll the ball to get the treats out. If I roll the ball and a treat comes out they are quite happy to eat it but other than that the ball just sits there on the floor.

Did you have to do anything in particular to interest your cat in playing with the ball?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got on the floor and played with the treat ball, in a very 'cat like' way and Mary caught on right away. Little Judy followed and about a month later Betty is on that ball like a pro. Sophie and Gracie still don't use it, but maybe someday.

I put a before and after pic in my album but i don't know how to link to it, I guess you click my name? I don't take great pics, I have tremors but these few show Mary at her biggest, almost like she ate her sister....

I'm now letting her relax and just maintain the diet as I have to take her in for a consult for inappropriate urination behaviour...she has emotional problems.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, i thought I had my 'send notification' on, and assumed i had nothing to reply to!

·
Registered
13 Posts
4 or 5 pounds is a huge accomplishment, especially for such small creatures. Think about how much trouble people have losing 5 or 10 pounds! Way to go! I bet your vet will be really impressed with Mary's progress as well.

I've got a cat who could drop a few pounds, and now I'm thinking I should give the treat balls a shot. He's like a goldfish—he would keep eating until he exploded if I would let him. Food-based exercise seems right up his alley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts