Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I had always kept a 24 hour kibble buffet down for my cat's up until a couple of month's a go & Teddybear was over weight at 6.2kg

I also used to give wet food which he would only really lick up the gravy & leave the meat

I removed the kibble & have only been offering wet food which he seemed to be eating OK at first although never as much as the other cat's, he would never finish the whole portion on his plate

he was diagnosed with FLUTD at around the same time that I removed the kibble & we seem to have this under control - he has Cysteaze capsules at a maintanence dose now & he drink's well, I havent noticed him cleaning excessively & his urine is of normal amount

but he just isn't eating well at all, he has lost quite a lot of weight, I would say that he is at ideal weight now but if he continues to refuse a proper meal I am worried he will soon become underweight

he is probably eating around 2-3 tea spoon's of food a day, but he would live on treats if he could, I give in to him when he is asking for treats as I think it's better he is eating these than not eating anything at all

I have just ordered a small bag of Orijen dry food as an emergency to see if he will eat this just so that I can see if he actually has no appetite or if he is just not liking the wet food

I really dont want him eating kibble especially with his FLUTD but I think there is a fine line between not eating enough & eating something even if it is kibble

I am thinking of maybe getting some of the Viyo gravy to see if this helps

please can I have some advise from anyone who can help me with my baby

thank you xx

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Have you tried different brands of wet foods, various flavors? Different textures...maybe he'll like pate better than chunks in gravy. You can entice him with toppers...a few kibbles (or throw some kibble in a blender or food processor and make kibble dust), some freeze dried chicken, a few of his treats (squish them into the food so he has to take a bit of food to get the treat), some Parmesan cheese...basically anything he likes can be used as a topper.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Your instincts are absolutely correct. If he was previously heavy and has lost a lot of weight quickly, you MUST stop the weight loss, regardless of what you have to feed him to do it. That means, give him kibble NOW. If you don't get him eating a proper amount, he is at HIGH risk of developing hepatic lipidosis (if he hasn't already). If he were my cat, I would also take him back to the vet tomorrow to have his liver and kidney function checked (blood test).

If you don't have any kibble in your house right now, give him as many treats as he wants. You just have to get calories into him NOW.

Laurie

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thankyou for your replys

I have tried different wet food's & this morning he enjoyed the sheba duck breast & chicken which is one I had not tried before, I have also tried putting treats etc as toppers but he will still only eat a few of them when on the wet food

I should hopefully recieve the Origin tomorrow or Tuesday so in the mean time I will continue to allow him to eat all the treats he wants & keep trying him with different wet foods

I bought 10 different tins yesterday especially for him to try & so far he has only eaten 1 of 3 types

I will take him to the vet tomorrow if I can get an appointment & keep you updated

thanks again x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts