Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't pleasant either, because we witnessed it. I don't like 'em (mice), and especially not in the house, however I don't wish pain on ANY living thing, either.

Now with that out of the way, my girlfriend and I were watching tv last night, and right before going to bed Little Guy comes in with a mouse in his mouth :shock: He was followed closely by his brother Coco and my brother, Fritz who asked us to check what Little had in his mouth. We turned on the lights and sure enough he had a little black mouse in his mouth. I should have known something was up, because I saw him earlier acting strangley. I think he was proudly showing off for us, but when my girlfriend saw it and screamed, he dropped it, it ran, and then the real chaos began.

I won't go into gory detail, and I am not trying to glamorize this incident, but I will say that I was AMAZED at: (1) what my guys did, (2) the cooperation and teamwork they demonstrated, and (3) the sounds that they made. :shock: I watched with awe and have a newfound respect for them as cats.

I worry that sometimes they play fight too roughly, but when it came to the real deal, they are absolutley partners in tune with each other and they are perfectly designed and equipped for completing the job.

I retrieved the unfortunate before they could consume it, and then offered them a turkey treat instead..............thinking that would be both a nice "reward" for them and also a natural resolution to the hunt - destroy prey - consume cycle, but they did NOT want the turkey. I am puzzled by this. I know that they didn't eat it, because it was still in their bowls this morning.
Turkey is their favorite. So why didn't they eat it?

I imagine that consuming the mouse would not be good for them, although it is a natuaral thing for them to want to. Can they/ could they have gotten sick from doing so, if we hadn't been able to intervene? I ask only because I am afraid that there may be more that they haven't gotten yet, and am worried if they get another today while no one is there to stop them.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about them eating mice. my little one used to catch and eat tons of mice in my last apartment and never got sick. she ate her first mouse's tail, bones, and all. it was disgusting, but she wholeheartedly enjoyed it. she wouldn't let the other cats near *her* mouse :wink:

i never had much of a choice when it came to the mice, she usually caught them at night while i was sleeping. if awake, by the time i noticed she caught one, it was already half dead so i let her finish the job. a mouse with a bunch of broken bones and/or puncture wounds won't last long on its own. the one time i tried to take one away from her...it was awful. she was so proud of this one she hopped up in my bed and woke me up and dropped the mouse on my pillow! :shock: i picked it up by the tail and went to go downstairs and put it in the yard...in the process, she swatted it out of my hand. the mouse went softly thudding down the stairs...and its tail was still in my hand :shock: i'm still grossed out by it to this day! poor mouse!

mice, obviously, can carry diseases. woody must have killed and eaten at least 30 mice in 2 years and never once fell ill, so i'm guessing its rather rare for them to catch something from a mouse.

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Since mice can carry disease and fleas, you might want to get something like Riddex, which plugs in the wall and emits a sound that drives rodents away. It's not pleasant to have a mouse, but it's more unpleasant to have one dropped at your feet on (yuck) on your pillow. It might be wise to worm your cat.

It's nature's way, I know, but it's not pleasant to watch any creature suffer, or to have your cat get fleas and worms. :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-

That sounds like good preventitive measures for sure. I was thinking about Marijun's reply a little bit. With eating all of those mice, and everyting coming out allright, I got to thinking that maybe their digestive system is designed for this. That maybe that is part of the reason cat bites can get so infected?

They didn't mangle this mouse. I'm pretty sure that a meat hook "claw" punctured a lung pretty early, because the squeaking stopped and so did the escape efforts. Minimal blood loss.

So what about the turkey? They crave turkey. I remember reading about completing the cycle while doing the play therapy, and that when playing with a laser pointer it is important to finish by placing the spot on something they can pounce on. So, after they dispatched with the mouse, I thought it would be good to complete the cycle and let them "eat their prey", of course turkey instead of mouse. I am still stumped as to why they didn't go for it. Maybe because it was cold, out of the fridge, and not warm? That is about all I can come up with. They were so focused on what they were doing, that I can't believe they were only "playing" with that mouse. They were definitely in a "hunter" mode.

Any thoughts appreciated. They are devouring their turkey again now though. Just seems weird.

·
Registered
865 Posts
We had an outdoor cat at my parents that killed and ate many things and never suffered any problems, but wild animals do sometimes carry sicknesses and/or worms.

As for not wanting the turkey - they could have wanted the mouse to eat. Or were just too excited wanting to play with the mouse to think about eating.

It's good that they're good mousers though - I don't think Moby would be.

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Oh! I forgot to tell you that people can't hear or sense the Riddex. It just drives rodents and big spiders like tarantulas away, so you can't have one if you keep gerbils or tarantulas.(eek!)

·
Registered
208 Posts
cats in the wild hunt rodents, birds and things to feed themselves, so i'd think their lil bodies are built for it.

they probably didn't want the turkey because they were still excited about the mouse :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts