Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chattering to the birds. It's REALLY hard to get a god picture with them both in it.. I really need a real camera.

Bird Watching by KrisMowBook, on Flickr

Evening grooming.

Groomings by KrisMowBook, on Flickr

MowMow snuggled down against the cold. He's got his paw resting on his ''soft'' (a scarf I knitted that he's become obsessed with). This cold weather is hard on his old bones.

Snuggles by KrisMowBook, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Such handsome boys. That last picture is precious. How old is MowMow?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marie - He's almost 10. He's been a bit slow and gimpy the last few mornings with this cold. Once he's moved around he seems to loosen up. Time to start looking for some joint vitamins for him.

Clowder - They get along... OK... It's been a 3 year long uphill road to get to this point.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That last picture like… I can't even, it's too precious! The only time my cat ever went under the blankets he sort of stared at me, daring me to cozy up under there with him…

And the one of them grooming makes me laugh for some reason, it's like, ok, they want to groom each other, but not too close!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
We all need a "soft" to put a paw on for reassurance. Very sweet.

p.s. Shepherd Book rules. The pic of him and your mom with the yogurt is one of my all time favorite CF photos.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He demands "soft" all the time now when he sleeps. When I go to bed he wont settle (paces around me) until I go get it so he can knead himself to sleep on it. Today he kept bugging me while I was trying to watch TV and FINALLY I realized he wanted me to get "soft" out of the bedroom for him to lay on next to me on the couch.

I guess I better pick up more of that yarn and make him a couple of little blankets so I don't have to keep moving it around the apartment for him.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Fantastic pictures! I adore MowMow's colour.. it is just so rich <sighs> Book is very handsome too :)

You might want to try some EFA's, omegas3,6,&9. It seems to help B.B. a lot, and she's 14. Another thing I do for her is I have just a regular heating pad that I put on the lowest setting, for her to sleep on. It gives her a much less painful start. It has a fake sheepskin cover over it and then I cover that with one of my t-shirts (so I can change it regularly and wash it... that way it doesn't look like Yeti heating pad)

Just a suggestion

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Fantastic pictures! I adore MowMow's colour.. it is just so rich <sighs> Book is very handsome too :)

You might want to try some EFA's, omegas3,6,&9. It seems to help B.B. a lot, and she's 14. Another thing I do for her is I have just a regular heating pad that I put on the lowest setting, for her to sleep on. It gives her a much less painful start. It has a fake sheepskin cover over it and then I cover that with one of my t-shirts (so I can change it regularly and wash it... that way it doesn't look like Yeti heating pad)

Just a suggestion
Do you use a regular human heating pad? I tried using some seed starter mats but they got too hot, so I bought a couple pet heaters and they don't get warm enough (I want to use them on the porch outside). I was thinking of using the human heating pad but was afraid that'd get too warm too.

Kris, great pics of MowMow! I know exactly what you mean about his old bones. He looks so much like my Zipper who really suffers in the cold, but she just can't stay away from that enclosed porch - even on the coldest days. If I block it she gets very sad and mopes and that I can't stand to see.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Do you use a regular human heating pad? I tried using some seed starter mats but they got too hot, so I bought a couple pet heaters and they don't get warm enough (I want to use them on the porch outside). I was thinking of using the human heating pad but was afraid that'd get too warm too.
Yes, a human one heating pad. I keep it on the lowest setting. It has one of those fleece fake sheepskin looking covers on it that came with the pad. I slip the whole thing into a t-shirt. I just change the t-shirt when it gets hairy.
I can barely feel the low setting, but it is nice to slip into bed an slide my feet down under the pad! B.B. doesn't mind, she's not getting off it, she just rides the feet sliding under movement like shes on a surf board LOL.

It really has helped her a lot. She moves so much better in the morning. I know she is far more comfortable, and that raises the chances that she will be in a good mood! lol She can be a bit <cough> hormonal acting at times, well, .. a lot... ok, ok.. her normal demeanor but we all love her just the way she is. :heart

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I ended up with a human heating pad when Jasper was in the in the garage for 5 months. We never did find a heated pet bed and it was cheaper than running a heating light (which could bring its own risks). He used it 8+ hours, sometimes 24 hours depending on the weather. Kept it on low or medium. Then we gave it to Blaze and he used it at night, then Blacky, but she's not as interested in her bed downstairs right now, aso I've stolen it to finally get some people-use out of it. It's nice, don't use it on high though. It's been well used the last year. I had to make sure I didn't get an automatic shutoff one however, most are these days. It's a Sunbeam model that didn't cost more than 20 dollars.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He won't lay on a heating pad, even if it's set low. I've tried the heated pet beds too thinking that the regular hating pad was too hot. He just doesn't care for the direct heat.

Thank goodness the weather is heading back above freezing this week. The really cold snap should be over and hopefully we'll be back to a regular winter. He felt well enough this morning to chase poor Book around and beat him up (until Book escaped under my big cedar trunk).

I rearranged the furniture so the heater (my apartment has electric heat) blows right on that spot on the couch from a safe distance. The spot stays super warm. Same thing for the foot of the bed (that was done for the benefit of my feet!). The spare bedroom was rearranged so there is a soft hassock near the heater in there. They have three always warm choices to choose from. I figure that's the best I can do if he won't use the heating pad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts