Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had thought it was all going to be over when they removed her plates last time... there had been screws sticking out that had poked through her skin. And then suddenly last week there is another little pointy piece of metal sticking out! I love the rescue I work at but since we have volunteer vets so much, communication is not great and so I took her to the emergency clinic I work at instead. We snapped some radiographs and sure enough, there was a stray wire that had been left behind. Due to her joints being fused, it would be impossible to remove the wire so it had to be ground down flush with her bone. On the rads we also discovered another stray piece of wire just floating around in her subcutaneous layer. It's not uncommon for things like that to happen- as the bone heals they simply fall out. Well we removed that too. Luckily, the 2 incisions are small and Winry handled everything with grace and courage.

She's got a little cone on now, but is in high spirits. I am just hoping that this is the end of it... I hate making her go through this.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh Rach. Winry is very brave. I feel for her. Hopefully this will the last of it. She's so lucky to have you. Anyone else would have given up a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very fortunate, me and Winry both. Me, for getting to have her in my life. Winry for the people who have volunteered their time to save her life. The other day I got to see a breakdown of all that she's had done to her and the grand total of all her surgeries is well into the thousands and thousands of dollars. I don't know a lot of places that this sort of thing would be possible at... most cats in Winry's position would be facing euthanasia.

And today, Winry is a happy, healthy kitty with just a bit of a gimp. And I love her, and so does everyone who meets her. If something else comes up (which I hope it doesn't) I would not bat an eye before seeking a way to fix it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yeah, most ppl wouldn't pay thousands to heal a cat. I would never ever give up on my furkids, only if they are in more pain being alive and there was no other way, then would I even contemplate euthanasia.

Do you have a recent pic of Winry?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh gosh, what a brave girl you have Rach. I'm sure she'll recover in no time. A hug for you all! How's everything going, by the way?

Un gran abrazo :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't the greatest quality picture, but this is from the end of December.

Thanks for asking Lenka. Things are... alright... I am right on the cusp of finding a new place. I have had so many let downs, touring lovely places, applying... waiting and waiting only to be told "oh we rent to someone else" or to never hear back. So I am guarded right now, but we are supposedly just waiting for this new landlord to hear back from our old ones, and could be moving within the next week. Once I move... everything will be perfect!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Rach I also wanted to ask as well, but I didn't want to deviate from the thread topic. Glad things are looking optimistic for you! If anyone deserves a break, it's you!

Winry looks good! I vaguely remember the pics you had when she was convelescing and now she's up and running. She's so lucky.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Alpaca, that means a lot to hear!

Here are a couple more semi-recent pictures

Winry is alpha female, and poor cousin Thackery cannot ever seem to impress her despite how hard he tries.

Bum leg? No problem. Doesn't stop her from getting to the top of the cat tree.

My torties <3

And for comparison: This is the video of the first day she was home. She has gained 4 lbs since then!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I find it kinda funny that Winry turned into an alpha. It's like she was sick then she comes back with a vengeance!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know right! And it was her sauciness that made me love her as much as I do so I guess it's a good thing. If anyone deserves to be alpha cat, it's her... with all she's gone through!!

On a side note, the landlord called today... our application got approved. It looks like we'll be moving in two weeks!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
As long as everyone knows who's the alpha and agrees with it, all's good. :)

Omg I'm so happy for you! Finally you got a place to go!

I know right! And it was her sauciness that made me love her as much as I do so I guess it's a good thing. If anyone deserves to be alpha cat, it's her... with all she's gone through!!

On a side note, the landlord called today... our application got approved. It looks like we'll be moving in two weeks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts