Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just moved into a new place with my girlfriend and her cat. I brought along my grey cat and my two ratties. I was a bit nervous at first of the introductions as Asha (GF's female black longhair) is very friendly and playful, and Scottie (my male bluegrey shorthair) is a bit wacko and the jealous type. hehe.

But so far so good! I nuetralized thier scent about a week before the move and that seems to work very effectivly. So far the results are Asha chasing Scottie (wuss), and playfully batting his tail... then Scottie giving a good HISSsss. Now they are starting to share rooms together and eat/drink normally. :)

I hope it continues to work out, I am proud of them! Pictures to follow shortly!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on..

they are so misunderstood... hehe. I have owned many fancy rats over the years. Right now i just have two.. a dumbo agouti rex, and a standard russian blue rex

·
Registered
99 Posts
oh I definitely make sure the cat can't get the rats. That would not be fun :(

I love agouti rexes. I have quite a few Russian blues and a lot of dumbos.

Deirdre

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
WHne my kids are old enough to be responsible...I would be more than happy to allow them to get a pet rat! I think they can be very inteligent animals! They need training dont they?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BoscosMum said:
WHne my kids are old enough to be responsible...I would be more than happy to allow them to get a pet rat! I think they can be very inteligent animals! They need training dont they?
They can be clicker trained. :)

Andon a side note, rats are much happier and better off in pairs if you ever decide to get them. In my opinion, they are the smartest, cleanest, and have the most personality out of all the "pocket pets". Not to mention they are the least likely to bite (hampsters are #1).

Very cool.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Everyone who ever owned a hamster....they told me oh no he wont bite!
So I want to hold it....well...hmm....they bit me! I guess hamsters like to bite me! I would NOT want to get bit by a rat either! OUCH! 8O

2 at a time, really! Are they easy to tell the sex...I would never want a rat family! 8O They do not fight with each other, wont they be less tame that way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i mean that hampsters are #1 to bite... and they HURT... rats rarely ever bite.

They are very easy to sex... male rats are, well, very well endowed. And yes, it is vital to get two of the same sex or litters will be abundant. They are best in pairs or even threes because rats love company... and we can't be playing with rats all day (as much as i would love to bring mine into work) so to have a playmate is perfect. and boy do they ever play... nothing quite as funny as seeming rats "popcorn" all over thier cage, and pounce on each other. :) They are much happier this way, and therfor would make much better companions.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have 2 burmese gerbil girls. They are really sweet, and have never bitten anyone. They put up with a lot of assault from my cat Magic constantly stalking their cage though!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm glad your 2 kitties are geeting along so quickly!!!

I have a pet rat as well, we've had him for about a month now, it's been about 10 years since we've had one but we've had many pet rats before that and have only had one that bit.

They are really sweet little critters though!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts