Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am getting quite concerned about my cat Gino.
Gino is long haired and has a tendancy to chew on things.
He has many chew toys he enjoys and plays with, to satisfy his chewing needs.

Around Christmas time, he chewed on/ate, a piece of a rubber band that was left to lay around by friends/family who were not aware of his tendencies. I had no clue he had eaten it until I found it in his stool in the litter box. I always clean up right after they go.
Knowing his habit of chewing on things, I am always extra carefull with this.

Well it just happened again!
Gino (probably) chewed on/ate about 1/3 of a hair elastic, not the rubber kind, but the kind on the picture I put up.

I have been looking around the house like crazy trying to find the missing part, to no avail...
The hair elastic he probably ate is lime green in color, so it would be quite easy to spot in his stools.
But none of the litter trays have such an elastic in them.
Gino is eating normally, drinking normally, behaving normally, and using the litter as usual. I always keep an eye on the stools after he goes, but I just didn't see the elastic yet!
This happened about 48 hours ago.
I looked everywhere, moved every piece of furniture, dug in my trash can to see if I could have swept it up...even in my vacuum cleaner (have a Shop-Vac, so it's pretty easy to see what it collects), and did not find the rest of the elastic...

My question is the following: Should I give him some laxative, in order to get the elastic out?
Which ones are the best for this kind of situation? I really prefer a holistic, natural approach if it's the case.
Should I rush him to the vet for x-rays of his stomach (even tho he is having no pain, discomfort, and regular bowel movements)... Having him x-rayed would involve putting him under... Should I wait a bit more and see if it comes out naturally?
All this without being 100 per cent sure he did in deed eat the elastic...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

sandyrivers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi,

I am just again trying to post the pic of the type of hair elastic Gino may have eaten...

Here it goes for the pic!

Cool! This time it worked!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Our Gracie is a swallower-of-objects, too :(. She has twice eaten parts of toys; one was a mouse made of deer hair with a length of wire inside it, and the other was a dyed ball of rabbit fur with a jingle bell attached. Both times the emergency vet gave her an emetic with a little morphine, to make her relax her throat and vomit up the object. They did not use or recommend a laxative, since they did not want the stuff to pass into her intestines.

I would call an animal emergency care place and pose the question to them. Just guessing, but I think fragments of hair elastic might be easier to pass than the stuff our kitty ate. They might recommend hairball stuff instead, to make the pieces slip through your kitty's system more easily.

Fran

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I'm confused as to how you know that 1/3 of it was eaten when you can't find any of it?

Sometimes these things get stuck in their stomach and don't pass into the intestines. Holly ate some of one of those gold metallic elastics that can be used on gifts. She vomited up pieces over a week later. Someone else here had a cat eat a long piece of fleece and the cat brought it up several weeks later.

If you're really sure it was just a piece of the elastic and not the whole thing, then I'd probably just continue to monitor as a small piece is not likely to be able to wrap around any area of the digestive tract. I'd probably give some hairball remedy to help it slip through his system. But if there's a possibility that he ate the whole thing then I'd call the vet for some advice.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Nutmeg has a terrible habit of eating these. The vet always tells me that if she is acting normally, eating normally and pooping normally then I shouldn't worry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, Gino was playing with 2/3 of the elastic, so I was looking for the other missing part, assuming he had eaten it!
Once again, I am not 100 per cent he did eat it for sure...

He is still eating well and going about his usual business.
The elastic did not yet come out from either ends...

I will keep a close eye on him and look for any changes, but so far so good.

sandyrivers

·
Registered
13 Posts
My female is obsessed with elastics. My coated hair elastics end up all over the house (she gets the fabric ones out of drawers, but never eats them). However, I have found rubber elastics in her stools despite our best efforts to banish these from the house. I would advise you just monitor your cat before taking further action since you aren't sure if the elastic piece was eaten.

Clearly, you aren't the only one with a rubber band loving cat. Ha! I recently read the book Dewey the Small Town Library Cat too and the author describes the same obsession.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My two love to play with the coated hair elastics, they bat it around and chase it and stick it under stuff and pull it back out, fling it under doors, and stick their "arm" under the door to reach it, it's great fun. They're always stealing them off my dresser or from the bathroom. They haven't eaten one, though! I hope everything's okay!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone,

So far, no news of the elastic... and I have been monitoring Gino's trips to the litter box...

His annual at the vet is due in August, so if I find no trace of the elastic by then, I think I will ask for x-ray of his stomach/digestive tract, just to be on the safe side.

Oh and yes, I too read the book about Dewey, what a touching story it was...sweet Dewey...

Ok, well I will keep you all updated about Gino's possible elastic ingestion... for the record, I no longer use elastics to tie my hair when I sleep, I switched to headbands...he he he Gino won't eat those!

sandyrivers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts