Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His first little mouse. I thought I would be very proud of this moment, but I wasn't, I was thoroughly disturbed. Then the other cat decided he wanted in on it too, so they both proceeded to torture this poor little thing for a long time, and due to my ridiculous fear of little rodent things, I could only watch. It died. :(

My kitties have lost their innocence. They are now known in my household as the mouse killers. :-?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Sorry for the poor mouse but they are vermin,
As you now know your sweet little kittens are actually ruthless killing machines, evolved for thousands of years to capture and kill small prey.
Since your cats are well fed they're inclined to play with their prey rather then eat it right away.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am so glad Sherbert would kill his fast, he never played with them. Pepper on the other hand ..:-? we lived in the country so mice always came in the house.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've been trying not to comment here, but I can't help it.

When my Alice is out in the backyard with a mouse or a bird, I root her on like a proud papa in the stands at his girls soccer game!

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that. My take is that cats are predators and doing such things comes natural to them. It's who they are. Therefor, when I see my girl have success, I'm happy for her.

Now, couple that with the fact that today we found out that Alice has worms and my cheers definitely get doused. That's life though. We'll get her fixed up.... again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also live in the country. I was raising cattle so mice and rats were a problem. My cats often tortures mice before they either walk away or eat them.
We had a pair of rats take up residency in the house. I had no success trapping them and didn't want to use poison for fear teh cats may eat them. Earlier this winter Colonel kill his first rat. No playing with the bigger rodent. Just a swift kill. Onyx was afraid of it. He got the second one last week and we haven't heard any scratching nor seen any evidence of rats since. I was so proud of him. After thought, maybe I should have had it stuffed as his trophy. The first one was a real biggy.
Sorry to offend you extreme animal lovers, but when a rat wants to eat up my house it is war.
I worm my cats every three months and have the Vet dose them with her stuff at every visit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
maybe I should have had it stuffed as his trophy. The first one was a real biggy.
he would just keep taking it down to kill it again.

I was always proud of Sherbert's mousing ability. my major issue was he wanted to chase a groundhog down its tunnel and I would have none of that. I was always diving at him and barely catching a leg or tail as he dived for the groundhog, who was diving for its hole.

And I just trained the rest to take them into the tub for easy clean up. I figured if a mouse was stupid enough to come into the house with the smell of 6 cats in it, then it can be Darwined. Gypsy is showing all the signs of being a birder not a mouser though, I guess it is not to bad if she was to get the pest birds (we have plenty), but she is an indoor kitty.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
One of my family's cat's growing up was a big tom named Pinky (he would get sun brunt nose and ears) he was a mighty hunter and regularly caught red squirrels.
I once saw him get 2 Blues Jays, he was laying in the middle of the lawn playing dead and the Blue Jays were trying to torment him, but he didn't move a whisker so they started to dive bomb him, still he didn't move, then one of then struck him on the back and in a flash that bird was dead, his buddy tried the same thing and he joined him in birdy heaven.
Pinky settled in to his double snack and I was most impressed not only with his blazing speed but his guile, he was a true predator.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Blacky brings in live mice sometimes but I don't sit back and watch... I congratulate her, and she's super happy, but I always try and catch it to send outside. It can be pretty easy to do, give or take 10 minutes providing it doesn't run behind something and then mysteriously never be seen from again.

Mice run along walls, so just put a small box down along a wall and then get it to run into the box.

I used to own mice when I was younger, they're really cute but not something I want roaming the house!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a (semi)-feral cat that took up residence on my front porch last year. She is always bringing "presents" home and leaving them on the porch and it's so gross! I have come home to rats, large massacred sea gulls, whole fish, even a large part of an eel, which was so big, I'm not even sure how she carried it. I have also seen her wolf down an entire (large) rat right in front of me despite the fact that I feed her very well. Recently she left half a rat (the back half) next to her food dish. I guess she was saving it for later for a snack because a few hours later when I came home it was gone. She always leaves the stomachs, so I guess she's a low-carb kitty. Lol!

A few years ago (pre-cats), I totally freaked out about a tiny mouse in my apt. I mean I wouldn't even go in there until someone got rid of it. Needless to say my tolerance has greatly increased. I think little about putting on a pair of cleaning gloves, grabbing some paper towels and a trash bag and picking up a huge bloody bird off the porch these days. Even though it's totally disgusting to me and I feel bad for the little animals I know she's just doing what's natural to her, so I make sure to thank her. :(

It's a good thing she's really cute!! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
When my cats find mice in the house, they usually play with them for a long time before killing them. Sometimes I feel really bad for the mouse, so while it's still alive but dazed from being whacked against the radiator, I catch it and let it free outside. The first time my cat, Callie, caught a mouse, she ate all of it except the head. SO GROSS! That's the only time she ever ate a mouse. I do think she eats the tails, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh god, i've got all of this to come to. Mouse hasn't caught and brought anything home so far,but she only goes out for a short while each day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh god, i've got all of this to come to. Mouse hasn't caught and brought anything home so far,but she only goes out for a short while each day.
Lol, a short while is all it takes. Cats, i've learned, are ruthless. Haha. Good luck with yours. You'll get over the horror. I have now. Sort of... :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a (semi)-feral cat that took up residence on my front porch last year. She is always bringing "presents" home and leaving them on the porch and it's so gross! I have come home to rats, large massacred sea gulls, whole fish, even a large part of an eel, which was so big, I'm not even sure how she carried it. I have also seen her wolf down an entire (large) rat right in front of me despite the fact that I feed her very well. Recently she left half a rat (the back half) next to her food dish. I guess she was saving it for later for a snack because a few hours later when I came home it was gone. She always leaves the stomachs, so I guess she's a low-carb kitty. Lol!

A few years ago (pre-cats), I totally freaked out about a tiny mouse in my apt. I mean I wouldn't even go in there until someone got rid of it. Needless to say my tolerance has greatly increased. I think little about putting on a pair of cleaning gloves, grabbing some paper towels and a trash bag and picking up a huge bloody bird off the porch these days. Even though it's totally disgusting to me and I feel bad for the little animals I know she's just doing what's natural to her, so I make sure to thank her. :(

It's a good thing she's really cute!! :)

Full respect to you. I only hope I can find the stomach to dispose of whatever leftovers my cats choose to grace me with. Ewwwww. Nature ain't pretty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just like in Arizona, here in Florida there are lizards. They can get into my apartment easily because I don't have a screen door. So tonight when one got in, my Annabelle promptly caught it and ran around the apartment with her prize. At least she goes into the bathroom when she devours it. Watching her run around with the legs and tail hanging from her mouth is gross! I know I'm going to have to get those rubber gloves and paper towels later... I cringe at the thought! At least she instinctively gets the pray... because otherwise it would have been just me and my dog, trying to catch it in a cup and let it out outside.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I figured if a mouse was stupid enough to come into the house with the smell of 6 cats in it, then it can be Darwined.
OMG - I just snorted my drink reading that LOL

I feel the same way - 4 cats inside and one outside, any mouse that dumb kinda deserves what's coming lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
My cat room is in the bottom level of the house, so there is a door that goes under the house, and then their cat door out to the cat deck. shrews, mice, and lizards come under the door that goes under the house and bats come through the cat door. the cats think it's awesome obviously, and play with them until they die. unfortunately if I don't see the animal in time I can't save it. if you are afraid of it you can put a bucket over it, slide cardboard underneath and move it that way. bats are easy to move, i just put a cup over them and slide paper under...at least they have a chance of avoiding the cats. the poor shrews have no clue. oh and snakes, they get small snakes sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts