Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so my cat was sitting on my lap 2 days ago and i accidentally dropped my phone onto her and it hit her head- I understand why she wouldn’t go near me but it’s been 2 days and she won’t come onto my lap anymore.
What do i do to make her sit on my lap again?

·
Super Moderator
26,676 Posts
You could try offering her treats while sitting down, see if she comes back onto your lap. I know it seems sad right now, but I would give her the time she needs, I wouldn't pick her up and put her in my lap, she needs to make that move on her own.

·
Registered
Frances is a 5 year old maine coone cat.
135 Posts
yeah i'm with @marie73 just give her some treats don't put them in your hand she might bight it but on the ground for sure and yeah just wait she'll come back to you. how long have you had her for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ive had her for 6 or 7 years so i’m surprised how fast she’s lost trust, I've put treats on my lap to encourage her to get closer- I don’t know whether to give her space or keep on trying to get her to come closer as she might get used to not sitting on my lap at all and that’d be sad for me i guess @marie73 @Catgirl13

·
Registered
Frances is a 5 year old maine coone cat.
135 Posts
i would let her have her space for a couple days then start putting treats on your lap and see if she starts coming back just don't let her see your phone if she gets on your lap again

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be extremely surprised if her distrust lasted for more than a week or two. Don't be too worried. I've also had situations where I've spooked an animal, and it's made them wary of me for a while, but never for an extended period of time.. Crouching down and sticking your hand out for your cat to sniff if they seem apprehensive is always a good way to encourage them.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Give her time! Cats are like people, it can take a different amount of time, to get over something!
Does she have favorite toys?
Play with her, to let her know, all is OK!
Forcing her, could only add to her standoffish, be patient!
Best Wishes!

Reactions: Chilling With Cats

·
Registered
Mimi, Nathaniel
15 Posts
She will trust you again, but as others said give her time and try to build your trust back with her slowly. You can try crouching down to her level and slowly close your eyes (just like Jackson Galaxy does when he meets a new cat). Then put your hand out and stroke her gently. Say her name softly and kindly and tell her she's a good girl. Have a few gentle moments like this with her several times a day - it will help her see you in an approachable, more friendly light and build the trust back to your relationship. Treats will definitely help as well.

I had some accidents with my cats when I inadvertently hurt them. Not much, but stepped on my cat's tail once and stumbled on my other cat a few times when walking - little things like this. They got scared, even hissed at me and ran away in these instances. What I did (and please don't laugh - it actually works!) is I crouched down and in a gentle, begging voice said: "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!'
I even crawled close to them and I made myself look very small (so that I wouldn't look intimidating), I put my head down (not looking into their eyes) and said sorry and told them they are good kitties, so they would know I'm not angry and didn't want to hurt them. I gave them treats too to show them that I love them and stroked them when they let me. What is amazing is that they understood it!

Remember, when an accidents like this happen the first thing the cat senses is that they are hurt and you caused the pain. This can hurt their trust in you. So in a very simplistic way I try to demonstrate that I mean no harm. I always do this "I'm-sorry-reaction" even if I just scare them by dropping something close to them, because I don't want them to feel threatened by me or think I can pose danger to them. Call me crazy (and maybe I am ;)) but I think this way they understand that I'm not angry and they aren't in danger. They probably think I'm just a giant klutz, but they know I care for them deeply.

Anyway, just wanted to share that cats can be so smart and they can forgive us our clumsiness.
💜😻

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Agree with Chillin with Cats, LOL! I've said I'm sorry to my cats too!😺🐾🐾

Reactions: Chilling With Cats

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I tell Belle I'm sorry. The other morning, I rolled over in my bed and accidentally elbowed Belle and knocked her to the floor. She wasn't happy about that. But, I told her I was sorry and bribed my way back into her good graces with a couple of treats. She loves fried dried raw minnows and freeze dried raw chicken breasts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts