Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is about three and a half, and is a little bit on the heavy side.

He eats Innova dry food and loves that, however he is REALLY picky about his wet food. He turns his nose up at the good quality wet foods, I have tried a lot of them...he ends up wasting them because he barely touches the food.He does like the whiskas pouches of wet food though :?

I adopted him from the spca about 7 months ago so I don't know what he used to eat.

I would like him to be as healthy as possible and I have read a lot on here about all wet food diets, does anyone have any ideas for me for how to encourage him to like wet food more? I am starting to think that maybe he is just a dry food boy :wink:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you had success with the Whiskas pouches you should try the Nutro pouches. It's a ton better than Whiskas and most cats love it.

I also had a difficult time finding a quality wet food that my cats liked. (They only liked Friskies in a pouch, and I couldn't switch to that...) Now they're on Nutro and they love it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will see is Malcolm likes that type.

With the pouch type of food he tends to lick up all the wet juices first and then start in on the chunks :? and with normal canned food he eats it for a few days and then gradually refuses to eat any.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
My cats love Nutro too. Try maybe warming up the food just a tiny bit to let the smell come out some more in the food. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try watering the food down, making it soupy. It took me two weeks to go from an all dry,to an all canned diet. Stay positive, it's well worth the effort. Good luck!

Aaron

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I can't find the post specifically, but I remeber Dr Jean strongly recommending against getting dry food wet. Apparently it results in a lot of extra germs that can ultimately harm your cat.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My cats always drink the gravy and leave the chunks, especially Kitty. Thomas will eventually finish her food.

The other day, I put some of the water from a can of chicken I was having for dinner in with their food, they scarfed it down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had too much success with watering down Malcolm's food a bit....but then again I haven't been that consistant about it :oops:

·
Registered
237 Posts
i think i read on some holistic cat food website that low sodium chicken broth can be used with kitties... so maybe you can try mixing a bit of the chicken broth with the wet food and see if they like the taste better?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts