Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 3 month old kitten a few weeks ago from the humane society. He's a real cutie and is very playful. When he came to me he had a cold (every cat at the humane society had it) and i was given antibiotics to give to him. Well, the cold went away and then I stopped giving him the meds. Now, he is sneezing again and his eyes are goopy. I am kind of concerned that I got a sickly kitten. the humane society sent me more antibiotics but I am not sure how long to give them. is this a bad sign that this cat will be sickly his whole life? any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You should take him to a veterinarian. He may have a resistant case, or he might have something else wrong with him....has he been tested for feline leukemia, or feline aids? He will need to see a vet for vaccines, etc, anyway....good luck, and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:(

ok now I'm nervous about this. his behavior is normal and playful and he eats and drinks just fine. he was tested for FIV and was negative and also for leukemia

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Agree, he should be seen by your vet. Chances are that it's just a respiratory virus. But some of these viruses can be serious or become chronic. Best to get it taken care of now.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well that is good news...that means he probably just has your run-of-the-mill shelter cold. How long was he on antibiotics before?? It is *very* important to finish the entire bottle of antibiotics, even if your cat seems to be all better...if you stop them too soon, the bacteria can come back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice.

I am giving him cefadroxil 0.5mL bid. He is a 2.2 lb cat. He got it at the shelter for about 2 weeks. the shelter director told me to give him the drops for a week after i got him. The symptoms seemed like they were gone. then, he got hte cold again. Now I am giving him the same dose for 10 days? I don't know how long to give it to him.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Is this the same bottle of drops you got from the shelter, or have you been to the vet and gotten a fresh bottle? Liquid antibiotics deteriorate, so the ones you used a few weeks ago are no good and should be discarded.

Please follow your vet's instructions on this and don't guess.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hmmmmm. I would say take him to the vet, and tell them what is going on. He may need a different antibiotic/different dose, etc. Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it's a fresh bottle. I just mixed it up today. He was just at the vet not that long ago and he was in good health. Of course, he didn't have the cold at that time.

Is there a risk of him having any of these diseases? I mean, is this a warning sign that I will have a sick cat on my hands?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't think so. A lot of my cats have been sick when I first got them, and they have been fine. As long as he gets his vaccines and doesn't go outside, he won't get those nasty diseases....but you should still take him back to the vet....I bet he needs a different antibiotic :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts