Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19 month old Black & White (Tuxedo) Domestic Long Hair named Tux who would carry his food dish around his neck if he could figure out how. It starts around 5 am (I've tried to find his clock without success) with him laying his head at the bottom of the bedroom door and moaning. Not Meowing...moaning. He knows that eventually someone would get up and put a small amount of Friskies or Hill's Science Diet in his bowl. That used to satisfy him till feeding time at 8 am. But now it's gotten to the point if he can see the bottom of his dish he thinks he's hungry. Every time someone goes into the kitchen he walks/runs to the food dish. And if you come close enough, he'll stand with his front legs on one can and the back ones on the other. That's alot more specific than pointing. He has NEVER eaten table scraps. He can tell if we have to go out. He starts roaming around the house, meowing at anything he thinks is listening. God forbid should someone try to leave without checking his bowl first. By 1 pm he's searching the carpet for anything! By 6 pm he's frantic until he gets a small portion of Friskies canned food. He knows when someone is trying to go to bed and he'll start his moaning by the door routine until he finally gets tired. He and his soul mate (same age Tortoise Shell female) will sleep through most of the night except for the occasional game of tag in the wee hours. They were adopted at 8 weeks from a local shelter after being born one day apart. He's older.

I've thought about taking him to a Vet, (they have all their vaccinations) but what would I tell him. "He eats too much". Way too much. At this age he's getting a pot belly and I really don't know what to do. How long can you listen to a cat crying for food, knowing he can't be hungry, but he stands by his dish and gives you that look!!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's not really 'cute' anymore.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Poor little starving baby! Oscar used to do his starving act until I switched him completely over to high quality wetfoods. I think it was because he just wasn't getting the nutrition he needed from the dry food, so he was always hungry. Oscar still let's us know that it is getting close to feeding time during the day and evening, but he is no longer waking us up in the wee hours of the morning. And all of this while he is on a calorie restricted diet for weightloss! Both Hill's and Friskies are on the low end of the catfood quality spectrum, so you might want to do some research here and get him on some better quality food.

I feed Oscar Wellness, Weruva, Merrick and TikiCat - all non fish-flavors. Oh, and you may want to switch Tux to a three times a day food schedule.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My suggestion would be stopping the Friskies and Science Diet.

Science Diet is expensive and crap. You can get a much higher quality food for the same price or less.

I would suggest feeding him 2 or 3 times a day. I would only feed high quality wet food. He will eventually adjust to the food schedule. You can divide up the daily food depending on if you feed him 2 or 3 times a day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply, OMom. I will research your suggestions. Nowadays you can't even believe the label on Science Diet. I compared a few so called 'different diets' while in Pet Smart and they just can't live up to what they claim. It seems that's all Tux thinks about is where his next mouthful is coming from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your the second person in 10 minutes that's said the exact same thing. That kind of makes me a believer. Thanks for your reply. I am going to research some different cat food. Your right about Science Diet being expensive!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've been feeding my kitten Wellness CORE and Merrick Before Grain wet food exclusively and she is doing very well.

There are many brands of good wet cat food such as above, EVO 95%, Nature's Variety Instinct, and many more. You should be able to find some of these at Pet Smart. The important thing is making sure it's grain-free, by-product-free, and low carb/high protein.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate the response I've received to my post. It gives me a lot to research and ultimately decide on a new diet. I have put this forum in my Favorites for future reference. In response to Kitty-the-Cat, neither Tux nor Sonja have ever tasted 'Junk Food' and as long as I can help it, they never will. Sonja is a completely normal cat. (Define normal!) She doesn't over eat, is a healthy weight and is relatively quiet except when she gets aggressive toward Tux. They are both indoor cats because living in rural Arizona they would be breakfast for a coyote.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Feline Friend, I think Kitty the Cat meant that the Friskies and Science Diet are junk foods, not that you are feeding your cat human junk food :) As mentioned, there are much healthier dry food choices for the same price or less than Science Diet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
at almost 2 years old, he's beyond his kitty stages and should be on a "normal" amount of food compared to the "massive pig" amount that kittens get. The problem is that what's normal tends to very quite a bit.

I agree with the posters who recommended upping the quality of the food. he'll likely feel fuller for longer with the right foods. It's the difference between having a 300 calorie candy bar and having an egg sandwich on an english muffin with a bit of cheese and some veggies. Both are the same number of calories, but one will keep you full until your next meal and the other is tasty but will leave you hungry soon.

Another trick is to try to divide his meals. If he's eating twice a day, feed him the same amount of food split into 3 meals. This may help curb the intensity of some of his cravings.

it's so hard to say no! My kitten is still under a year, but not by much. I'm starting to cut him back a little bit. He likely still has a little growing to do, but I've been playing with amounts to determine what he thinks he needs versus what I think he needs.

Once you get him on a better quality food, weigh him regularly and adjust food quantities slowly until he's lost his pot belly and seems to be at a healthy weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry Kitty-The-Cat. It makes more sense now. I now have a number of foods to research. I won't be able to read Dr. Pierson's site in one sitting, but there is some valuable information (to me) in there. Thanks OscarsMom!

It's 5 pm and here he is, sitting on my desk Meowing in my ear. Wonder what he wants???
He also likes to lay down and rest his head and one paw on the keyboard. Fortunately the desk is 4' X 3'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts