Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has lymphoma, tumors having been found in liver and intestinal area. I'm awaiting news on which kind it is, small-cell (the "better" kind) or large-cell.

Assuming my cat will need chemo, I would like to know how to make him comfortable in case he feels sick from chemo.

In addition, what things can I do to increase the possibility that he will be around as long as possible, ie. holistic, dietetic, or other things in addition to the treatment itself. What can I do to help ensure success?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am so sorry your cat has been diagnosed with Lymphoma :( ..
My rescue boy Spirit was diagnosed 3 years ago,with a secondary cancer after a biopsy was done of a growth on his neck.. No idea what the primary is as I did not want to put him through multiple invasive procedures. The growth is definitely getting larger but is causing him NO issues what so ever. He is decent weight, happy, still playful, loves his food ect..
Sorry I don't have any good suggestiosn for you ..
Just hope you are able to enjoy the time he has.. Make the most of every moment :) They sure do become our fur babies .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Kaylesh. Thanks for your sympathetic e-mail. It wasn't clear what was being done for the secondary cancer (or what cancer that was), but it sounds like you're lucky, still enjoying him. I hope that keeps up.

Steve

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Always depressing to find out something like this. (My old calico had a bladder tumor that was growing and she was not a surgery candidate.)

Pay attention to quality of life. When that fades, be ready to move quickly to end what may have become torture.

I've known people who would not let go and the poor animals suffered greatly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Steve,

Between myself and my Vet , we decided to just see how things went.. So Spirit has had no treatment to date regarding his cancer. If you didn't know his diagnosis you'd never know.. I'm all about quality of life so when the time does come... I will make the ultimate decision to make sure he does not suffer.. I am indeed very lucky to still have him this long after diagnosis.. I think one of two things it's very very slow growing or a mis diagnosis..
Whichever the case.. I am not going to put a very happy otherwise cat through tests to find out.
:)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Good for you! I also gave my calico the best I could until it all went downhill. Also my old gray cat with the foot problem. And my little crippled cat.

We did do some treatments - but when it began to look like that might be all that their future held we quit with them, were getting nowhere.

I found that I needed to be sure the "front desk" person at the vet's office needed to be in the loop, so when everything went wrong, I wouldn't be put off until next Thursday or something.

May you be blessed with a misdiagnosis and many more happy months/years with your friend. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to express my condolences for the loss of your calico. If I were told my cat isn't a candidate for surgery, I'd pull all my hair out of my head. It must be terrible to hear there is no hope at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Kaylesh, Hi. I am delighted your cat is hanging on well. I'm different, I would be testing like crazy to see if anything can be done to increase the chances of success even more, but this is each pet owner's separate decision to make. Good luck with Spirit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@eldercat
Thanks for your good wishes. I will do everything humanly possible to keep this disease at bay for as long as possible. He is my buddy, and I need him, and want him to enjoy his life too. I'm still worried sick about whether this is the more treatable one or not. I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the kind person who asked me for an update, and others who care:

Our cat is gone. He died one week ago,. It turns out he didn't have lymphoma, he had a sarcoma. The biopsy showed that, but also the way it behaved proved it: During the biopsy procedure last Tuesday (Dec 31), he went into uncontrolled bleeding and his vital signs went wild. They gave him a transfusion and fought to save him.Before they closed, they transported him to another hospital, a good one, and they worked hard to save him. We saw him one last time there. He died 1AM on Jan 1, but they resuscitated him (on our instructions), and he lingered for 10 more hours with just a heartbeat, until we agreed for them to euthanize him. Of course, we are drained, sick at heart, trying to repair ourselves. Thanks for all who showed they care.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. That is grim and horrid way to start a new year.

The only thing positive is that he is not suffering now.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I’m so sorry. I know it hurts. Remember only the fun times you had together and how you both made each other feel. Get some needed rest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts