Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She appears to be about 3 years old. Her problems are multiple and strange. She has ZERO balance of any kind. She falls over if anything at all disturbs her movements. She can not jump off anything more than about a foot high correctly. Any further than that, say a bed for example, and she just sort of pathetically heaves her body off and crashes down onto her back or side. She also doesn't walk correctly, not just from the apparent balance issues, but also it seems like her hind legs just don't work right for her, like she has limited control of them. So she waddles when she walks, and she has a lot of trouble walking up stairs.

Last, but definitely not least, she pees herself in her sleep. She seems to have dreams I would assume, because she moves and makes noises in her sleep, and often pees all over herself and her bed while sleeping.

These are not sudden onset problems, she has been this way for a lengthy period of time, since we took her in. I should add, she is a friendly, happy cat and seems to be completely pain free.

Any ideas what could be wrong with this cat or if there is any hope it is something that could be fixable? :(

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Iluvmycats said:
These are not sudden onset problems, she has been this way for a lengthy period of time, since we took her in. I should add, she is a friendly, happy cat and seems to be completely pain free.
Since you took her in.....to where? I'll assume the vet? What were his/her thoughts? Lengthy period? Your cat sounds like she's suffered a lower back injury or a tail injury, at the least, which would explain the incontinence as well as waddling and hind legs not working. Other thoughts were stroke or blood clot. Cats don't *seem* like they're in pain, but they hide it very well. I would suggest taking your cat in to the vet again, or another vet, because what you're describing doesn't sound right at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hope she's seen a vet :( Something is very wrong here. I've never heard of a cat peeing itself in it's sleep.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
There may also be some sort of spinal injury to consider. Whatever the problem is, she needs to see a vet. Although she appears happy and healthy, there is something wrong and it should be checked out. I would think a problem like this could border on neglect if left untreated.

It seems you really do care for your cat, so please get her checked out.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
She needs to see a vet, as soon as possible. I am just echoing everyone else's thoughts, but she has some kind of neurological problems going on and really needs medical attention........let us know what happens! Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree. She has a neurological problem. Science cannot restore dead nerves yet, but the vet might be able to suggest ways you could make life easier for her. Braces might help, and since she is incontinent, perhaps there is a diaper of some kind for cats. Keep us posted, please. I'm glad she seems to be a naturally happy cat.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I was actually looking through a catalog I got in the mail from Drs. Foster and Smith. They have what are basically diapers for dogs (I'm sure the smallest can be used on cats). I think they were cloth, not disposable.

I know I've seen other products like this too, so if her bladder problems can't be fixed, at least they can be contained.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If she's been this way since you have had her, it's possible she was born this way; which would most likely indicate a condition called cerebellar hypoplasia, caused from the mother having distemper while pregnant. It is not fixable. However, a vet would be the one to make that determination.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts