Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my two year old male cat is not feeling well at all.he's the cuddliest guy and so precious and lately he has not been well.
he got cat flu a few weeks back and he recovered,then he ran away for six days and came back (thank god) with some fur missing around a small wound.he developed fever for the next 5 days and i had no idea that his lethargy wasnt due to recovering from flu,but a fever of 105! he had gotten very lethargic,listless and his appetite decreased,he was still eating when i offered him treats.
the vet gave him three shots of anti biotics and anti-fever.his fever went two days later.he became playful and his appetite increased.during this i noticed his hind legs had gotten a bit weak,he can walk on them but they're just not that strong,they tremble a little when he raises them up to the air to groom them,he cannot contract his hind leg paws without them shaking too.his appetite is fine and he doesnt feel or act feverish,but its been four days since the fever broke and he still has weak legs (i dont think the weakness has gotten worse) today i notices he was limping on his one front leg and not touching it to the ground (he does touch the hind legs) he went to the litter box and can get around but he limps,he's been sitting in the same place almost all day,he gets up to eat and visits the litter box,but he's looking alert.i called the vet and he said to give him vitamin e pills,and to call again in two days. he's a darling and the love of my life,i dont know what to do,ive been googling about the worst sounding diseases,any thoughts on what is wrong?

(sorry i posted it in introductions too i didnt really realize i was in the wrong section)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I would not be feeding him Vitamin E and waiting 2 days to get him to the vet. He needs to go now. Emergency vet if necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no emergency vets in my whole country :(( they just dont think animals are important. i feel so helpless,there's only one vet in my whole city.im planning to take him in the morning as soon as the vet opens,but right now im out of my mind with worry.why do you say an emergency?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
It could be a lot of things... I was thinking diabetes or blood poisoning, but it could be anything... the sooner you get to the vet the better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks carmel,its midnight here and we have no emergency vet services,im taking him in the morning and im waiting till then,can two year old cats get diabetes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took my cat to the vet? anyone online for some advice?
the vet took his temperature and it was 105,he gave him another shot of antibiotic and gave me another different anti biotic and an anti fever to give him at home,and return for the next two days consecutively. about the weak hind leg and painful front leg,he observed while my cat was crazily running around the office to escape,and said he looked fine, i know my cat very well and while at home he limps and favours the front legs,and i think was running in the vets office because he's scared to death of him.the vet also discovered a tick on my cat and told me that the tick had probably bitten him because there was a bump under it.i asked him about testing my cat for illnesses,and he said he couldnt do those tests because they're not available in the area,which i know they arent. apart from that he said we'd know if the cat responded soon.

i'd like to mention that we gave him a course of antibiotics three days before he developed todays fever,the course was inadequate because my cat hid under the bed for a day so we couldnt catch him for the vets,his fever broke after that,but his legs remained weak/a bit trembly.
his appetite is good too as long as he doesnt have a fever,right now he's out and about acting normal. ive noticed his legs seem stronger/no limp and dont shake much when he raises them.

im sorry about the long post,any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I don't know what country you're in or which tick-borne diseases may be in your area, but there are tick-borne diseases in parts of the U.S., like Lyme Disease, that can cause fever and lameness. Did your vet mention any specific tick-related diseases that your cat may have acquired from the tick bite?

Do you know the names of the various medications that your cat has been given so far?

Laurie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the vet is giving him one antibiotic as an injection and the other one im administering is cephalexin,along with this there is ibuprofen although i believe it shouldnt be administered to cats although the vet says it can in low doses and for me to give it three times a day (which is another concern with me,it would be too much i believe) there is a pill with vitamin e but thats that.im from india and its a bit hard to find better medical care for pets here,vets just tend to know the basic knowledge and administer common medical treatments,lab services for pets arent available at all! he told me ticks can themselves cause fever,and i do believe his knowledge isnt bad,although ive read that all ticks arent dangerous.

he's sleeping just now on the bed,had his dinner and seems more playful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm glad he appears to be feeling better. I don't want to list a bunch of diseases that you can't test for and cause you more worry. If it's a virus you just need to stick with supportive care until kitty's own immune system kicks in and if it's bacterial he's on at least one moderately good broad spectrum abx. Just keep him well hydrated and fed and watch for fever. Keep us posted. GL B

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just saying hi and hoping your kitty gets well soon so he can get back to eating more potato chips :smile:. Take care and please keep us updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts