Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code:
My son noticed that our cat had sat on his ruller and he said mom, I think Ninja has worms.
It was a little rice looking like worm. I don't know how long he has had them as this is the first time I noticed it.
Ninja is a indoor cat. I don't understand how he go tthem as I keep is letterbox clean.
Except for the fact that our nephew came over with his new puppy and let it rome around the house a few weeks prior to this. Could our cat have caught them form this puppy?
I went to the store and found some Liquid wormer by St. Aubry.
Does anyone know if this works? It says it removes roundworms, so will it work if these are tape worms, they ahd nothing else and I tried several stores out.
I called the vet and they have a pill but I can't give it to him after I already wormed him with this stuff.
How long does it take them to get rid of these worms. As soon as he uses the litter box I got and check it and clean it out.
Help, I am so grossed out and have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If it doesnt say it treats tapeworm then it wont. Different brands have a different waiting period between treatments. Find out how long it says on the packet you have to wait between treatments. If your cat doesnt go outside it is posible he caught them from the puppy i guess. Has your cat had fleas lately/been treated for fleas? fleas are often followed by worms, if the cat ingests a flea infected with worms- eggs it ends up with them too. The puppy may have had fleas and given them to your cat. If your cat hasnt been treated for fleas in the last month or two then get treatment from the vets- frontline. Stronghold in the future is a good treatment- it treats worms and fleas in one, but you wont be able to use that one at the moment.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
A rice-like worm from the anus is most definitely a tape worm. Roundworm treatment won't help. When I adopted my cat she had both roundworm and tapeworm and she needed two seperate treatments.

It could take a couple of visits to the vet to get the problem taken care of, but its relatively easy and routine.

She almost definitely get them from the puppy so you better have him checked out too. Tapeworms spread by exiting the anus and when another animal comes in contact with the tapeworm, they begin to host the parasite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cat with worms

Thanks for the fast reply Zal!
Now I am so confused. I guess I just need to call the vet and ask them how long I should wait before I get the pill they have to give to Ninja for the worms.
Yes, I gave him a flea treatment, although Inever saw any fleas on him. That is why I am thinking the puppy had given them to him.
Never a dull moment!
Thanks again....MANK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cat has worms

OK, then I guess it is too the vet for the worm pill.
Thanks for your help...I was hoping I could take care of it with what I have, but I guess that is what I get for hoping! HA!
Thanks padunk!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cat with worms

OK, we have decided to take the cat to the vet.
Since Nija has also pee'd on the floor and never does this we are thinking maybe he has an infection as well.
I smell that spray smell in more then one place and he was neutered back in October and he is a year this month.
So its better to be safe then sorry. I hope he is not doingit as a means to rebel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cat with worms

We took Ninja to the vet yesterday.
I am so glad we did...We got the tapeworm shot, and the rabies shot since it is required in the stated of TN.
The vet said that more ten likely the cat ate a flea and caught the tapeworms that way. Because he said it takes awhile for the infestation to set in and let loose of the tapeworms.
He said if it has only been a few weeks since the puppy was here then it was not fromteh puppy.
He said you can carry fleas in from anywheres....and your pet can get them that way.

Tahnks for all your help and replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts