Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modra caught a mouse, I was at the back of the yard with her when a tiny mouse passed by and Modra ran after it and caught it. She didn't play with it, she just killed it and ate it, although she wasn't hungry. Well, she didn't eat everything of it, but most of it (was pretty grose to get rid of the leftovers) however I'm so glad that she did that, I had no idea there were mice in my yard!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know from experience that my girls don't have the first clue as to what to do with a mouse if and when they find one!

Good for Modra, though. She knows what she's doing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The first wild cat to live under my porch showed up in the Winter about 30 years ago. I noticed him under the bird feeder. He would tilt his head to listen, and then pounce into the snow, coming up with a vole in his mouth. He would then eat the whole thing (you could see the tail disappear last). We named him Tuffy. I never knew cats could live in the cold and snow like that. Since then, there have been three others.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When I was living in the attic bedroom of my dad's house, there was some little critter (mouse, vole, something!) that was running along one wall. Paizly noticed it, and went after it! ...sort of.
When she got about a foot away from it, she stopped and watched it a moment. When it moved again, so did she ...though depending which direction, she always kept about a foot of distance! If it moved towards her, she would scoot back.. if it moved away, she would follow it.

So when I say Paizly is afraid of everything, I even mean things 10 times smaller than herself! LOL (though she does get spiders ever so often). But I don't blame her.. my hampster bit me when I was a kid, and that HURTS! I don't want her to have to go through that pain from an upset mousie!
Plus they got worms and diseases and other junk I don't want her getting anyway.
*snuggles my scaredy/smarty kitty*

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm sure my bunch aren't adverse to tasting a mouse now and then but there speciality is the gophers in the neighbors yard. They became quite obsessed with them, to the point where they would sit and stare at the hole for hours at a time and ignore me when I called them in for dinner. I'd have to actually go get them. I wish I'd had my camcorder ready one day when a gopher popped his head out of the hole. It was hilarious. Gidget must have jumped several feet in the air, she was so startled by it and the rest of them just scattered. After I recovered from laughing I told them they were a disgrace to the cat kingdom and how were they ever going to catch a gopher like that? Eventually, someone did catch one after months of watching the hole and while I'm pretty sure the gophers have vacated, the bratz still sit at the holes in hopes of catching another one.

I was a little worried about it to tell you the truth. Have you seen the teeth on a gopher??? Not to mention diseases and such but their vet said not to worry about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TY all for the comments. That's quite an image: the cats gathered around the gopher hole! Hillarious indeed (not for the gopher tho :p. Yeah, I sort of worry for her catching wild (and not necessarily clean) stuff, but I guess she did it before I adopted her as well and wild habits die hard. But so far she's very happy, purring and jumping around, from tree to tree (poor birds, they are on the menu too :p. She is so funny when she jumps to catch a small bird in the tree and falls on her side in the grass, I wonder if it hurts her, she seems unbothered by it. Crazy cat, but yeah, we'll be mice free among others.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh no! I shouldn't have posted about the gophers! One has evidently decided to move to our front yard. I found Cinco and Opie sitting in our front yard this morning gazing intently at a hole in the lawn!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts