Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got home late from work one day and my when I went to go get my cat from the garage which is where he stays when we aren’t home since he has a tendecy to climb up the drapes. I saw that he was limping a bit and when I saw his paw that he wasn’t using which is his left back paw. It was red and swollen but there was no blood, the next day I decided to get a closer look and saw that he didn’t have two of his claws from that same paw, my friend who’s sister is a vet told me to put neosporin on the paw that’s red or gentian violet spray. (I also want to add that I don’t think it’s broken because he sometimes uses it and still is able to jump onto the bed and sofa) My question is, should I wait a few days and just apply the neosporin or should I take him to the vet on Monday ?

·
Super Moderator
26,388 Posts
When my little Cali was less than a year old, I heard a crash in the kitchen and Cali was running out. When she finally came out from behind the sofa, she was limping a little. I took her to the vet and when the vet manipulated her paw, she didn't react. The vet said it could wait until Monday to see my regular vet (to save money), but I insisted on x-rays. She had two broken toes. The vet was shocked. Cats naturally hide pain, it's a survival instinct.

Personally, I would take your little guy to the vet on Monday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I worry about my boys, probably too much, but I would never wait to see the vet again. My animals only see a vet when they need something, so I take vets seriously.
My older polydactyl used his foot when he had 1 toe ripped off and 3 more broken. I didn't know because he used to be feral and was excellent at hiding his injuries. He was a one of a kind cat and I miss him so much. Now I panick a bit when my 2 younger boys act differently.
If the swelling goes down or completely disappears, I might hesitate to save some money, but I might also still see the vet anyway.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
So how is your guy doing? I try to never wait to take mine to the vet. Ive had lots of cats and they are so very good about hiding pain. We have one who had been having urinary stones following an eye surgery. One day when my daughter went to pet him he growled at her. He never growled and he was her cat. She could do anything with him. She said we need to go to the vet somethings wrong. I thought we should blow it off as him just wanting to rest. He acted fine otherwise. Well I listened to her and when we got to the vet she examined him and said to get him to the back “ now” as his bladder was about to burst it was so full and blocked by a stone. If we had ignored that simple sign our poor boy would have layed there and died a painful death. So anything you see wrong I say check it out to be sure. Sometimes the vet even misses stuff because the cats are so stoic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts