Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at 11 AM I received a large package of picture art frames. I brought them inside to open them. Then Perry (my cat) all the suddenly rushes across the floor under the bed, running back and forth from hiding under the futon then running back into the bed room. Running around very erratic, to this point I'm getting annoyed, shouted "stop it!" I tried calling him to me to calm him, to give him reassure, but that didn't work. He ran from me to the futon. For the last hour he been fleeing room to room. So then, I try to catch him by calling him into the kitchen. I scoop him up in my arms, and put him in the bathroom for a few minutes for him to have a cool down for a few minutes. After 4 minutes went away I went in to check on him, I saw him laying by the window on my other side of my bed, I knee down next to him, I notice his pupils were severely dilated and his tail is bouncing all over the place. All he been doing is meowing and whining. Then a hour later he does this all over again

He is eating and drinking fine. I don't know what his problem is… If anyone could give me me a idea that would help!

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Yikes! Go to the vet. There's no telling what's wrong from here. I wouldn't wait on such erratic behavior.

He could have got into poison or swallowed something he shouldn't that's causing discomfort/blockages.

The running around reminds me of when my cat swallowed a needle and thread and the thread was hanging out his bum... but yeah, that's not the case here I hope.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What everyone else says. Rule out medical first because these are signs of a very distressed cat, and cats don't easily show that they are distressed.

If it isn't medical, THEN consider other sources of stress (like sounds/sights/smells of another animal, for instance). Hoping that this isn't medical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you're not the only one that thinks it NOT medical. He seems back to himself. It just was erratic behavior, it could been very well that the change of the scenery. Like WFT are the large package and all of these frames comes from etc… I took the boxes and cleaned up my mess. His behavior fleeing on and off for few hours.

I should of added prior two weeks ago, I was looking into cat litter he currently uses "Tidy Instant Action" I was trying to wean him to using "The World's Best Litter" seemingly he barely used it the first day I put some in the litter box he nip at it…

So what I did was I dump the litter out and I re cleaned the litter box, and put in the Tidy litter into the box. Hopefully this is all just his way of being wary of something

I suppose he doesn't like change?

What everyone else says. Rule out medical first because these are signs of a very distressed cat, and cats don't easily show that they are distressed.

If it isn't medical, THEN consider other sources of stress (like sounds/sights/smells of another animal, for instance). Hoping that this isn't medical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'd take him straight to the vet because God knows what's wrong with him.
I will first find the solution of what's causing this. I want to rule out medical first :(

Yikes! Go to the vet. There's no telling what's wrong from here. I wouldn't wait on such erratic behavior.

He could have got into poison or swallowed something he shouldn't that's causing discomfort/blockages.

The running around reminds me of when my cat swallowed a needle and thread and the thread was hanging out his bum... but yeah, that's not the case here I hope.
First hand, I'm cleaning everything out and ruling out of medically first hand to see if this is his way of being uncanny because of the change I done

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Was he exposed to either strong catnip or possibly chlorine-based bleach? I've seen cats who will respond with the uncontrollable physical outbursts and dilated pupils to those two things. (In fact I have a bleach addict living with me.) Obviously catnip isn't harmful. Bleach can be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
He does have little bit of cat nip on his scratcher, I don't know how he would get hold of bleach?

He seems ok, I will keep a eye on him closely tonight. My apartment isn't that big lol I keep things clean and "Cat proof"

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
I'm glad he seems back to normal. But that erratic behavior and dilated pupils sounded really concerning. Blacky was like that for a few days after we gave her a flea treatment. We never did topical treatments on her again after that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I keep reading your first three sentences and wonder if there isn't some connection there. Where did the packages come from? Did the behavior start after you started tearing off the wrappings? (like was there something on the paper...smell..dust from something?) Did he sniff the wrappings when you brought them in?

Animals are a hundred times more sensitive to smells than we are so I was wondering if there isn't some kind of connection.

I have heard of 'things' getting on boxes/packagings etc that are stored in warehouses which I won't go into detail about but rather than throw out the products...they end up as sale items or 'specials',

I'm glad he is back to normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OP, It is quite possible that the picture frames gassed while wrapped up and when you took off the wrapping the little fella got a blast of VOC's. Volatile gasses from paint, preservatives, glue, and who knows what else. It would be kind of like the kitty sniffed glue. I really don't think it would do any permanent damage. I personally would not take my cat to the vet. What do you think a PET scan of a cat's brain & liver enzyme tests would cost? You have to do what you are comfortable with. I would never tell somebody in this situation what to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I keep reading your first three sentences and wonder if there isn't some connection there. Where did the packages come from? Did the behavior start after you started tearing off the wrappings? (like was there something on the paper...smell..dust from something?) Did he sniff the wrappings when you brought them in?

Animals are a hundred times more sensitive to smells than we are so I was wondering if there isn't some kind of connection.

I have heard of 'things' getting on boxes/packagings etc that are stored in warehouses which I won't go into detail about but rather than throw out the products...they end up as sale items or 'specials',

I'm glad he is back to normal.
When I brought the package inside and put it in my bedroom. Perry did go and investigate the box while I went into the other room to text my sister. I don't know how long he was in my bed room for? When I went to open the package he was in the room, once I started opening the box and took the pictures out he sniffed it but not a whole then, that's when he started his outburst

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Maybe they're something Perry just can't live with. If they don't agree with Perry's fashion sense, they may have to be returned....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, It is quite possible that the picture frames gassed while wrapped up and when you took off the wrapping the little fella got a blast of VOC's. Volatile gasses from paint, preservatives, glue, and who knows what else. It would be kind of like the kitty sniffed glue. I really don't think it would do any permanent damage. I personally would not take my cat to the vet. What do you think a PET scan of a cat's brain & liver enzyme tests would cost? You have to do what you are comfortable with. I would never tell somebody in this situation what to do.
I know he didn't get into the wrapping, and the cardboard box, and the corner boxes. He just ran like a manic and I was conerned

If he still acts this way I will consider a PET scan. I don't know what the pictures are made out of it, I brought the art frames from Bed Bath and Beyond

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Maybe not. My sister acts the same way when she gets a package delivered. It's quite embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I'm going to guess that there was a strange smell that erupted from the package. Maybe it picked up something in transit or maybe it is in the preservative used in the framing or glue or packaging. Something weird triggered the response. I doubt it's suddenly and coincidentally medical. Did you ever notice him make the flehmen face (the mouth is partially open and sometimes the tip of the tongue is out while the whiskers are almost straight forward)? They do this when sniffing the air - they actually taste the air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts