Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

Here's the situation:

I have a 12-13 year old cat which over the last year or so has been unable to eat dry (crunchy) food. So I've been feeding him canned soft food. What would happen before is that he wouldn't chew the dry food - he would just swallow it. Doing this would make him vomit the food (unchewed/partially digested). Sometimes even though I'm feeding him the soft food, he'll still eat some of the dry food and occassionaly still vomit.

Yesterday I noticed he wasn't eating, and he was acting very distant. He wasn't purring, he could hardly meow, and he wouldn't eat or drink anything. I got him to drink some warm milk and eat a little bit of soft food, but it seemed like he was having trouble swallowing, and he would walk away after only a few bites. Another interesting behaviour is that he usually lays all streched out on the floor - even in the middle of the floor. Now, after these other symptoms have occurred, he lays on his stomach, head not touching the ground and he's been distant. If he does lay a different way it makes him uncomfortable. Another symptom is that he will gag if he's in the wrong position or if his throat is somehow irritated, although he doesn't vomit. I'm sure there are other symptoms I'm forgetting, so if you have any questions please let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

I'm very concerned about him, as my preliminary research on the 'net has brought up "pyothorax" as a possible diagnosis. This is very disheartening, as treatment seems to be quite expensive and I don't even have enough money to pay my rent. If somebody can help with some advice or experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of him when he's feeling well -

Thank you,

Penny

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Penny and welcome to Cat Forum!

The only advice I can offer you is to get your kitty in to the vet, as soon as possible. I hear you when you say money is an issue, but I wouldn't start pricing treatments until you know for sure what you are treating. And the only way to know is to have a vet examine the kitty.

Dr. Jean will probably see your question and will be able to offer some insight, but I really want to urge you to call the vet's office right now and not wait.

Stay in touch and let us know what the vet has to say, OK? I will keep you and your beautiful kitty in my prayers.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! :) I just called the vet's office, and they said that they can't tell me anything over the phone for "legal issues". They recommended bringing the cat into the office so they could examine him. Surely this would be the best solution, but like I said before, I can't afford an office visit.

Also, I've grown to be cautious of vetrinarians in my area. I've taken two dogs to the vet and both died shortly thereafter. Obviously the vet's treatments were unsuccessful and may have even contributed to my dogs passing away. Just how I feel. :(

Honestly I think prayer is the best treatment, and if God really wants my kitty there's not much I can do about that. But I want to try and do what I can to keep my baby here with me and happy until it's time to go. :(

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Possibly you can see if they take payments at the vet. It is hard with the money issue but if you can scrounge up some money for the initial visit maybe they can tell you what is wrong with him. Hope everything works out well. Good luck and let us know what you find out <<))

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If he is struggling so he may have some rotten teeth.
Ive recently had 3 wisdom teeth out, even a week after they are out, and im still healing for a few days i wasnt barely even drinking water, it hurt to much to drink, never mind eat. He may need some dental treatment, and that would explain why he isnt letting his head touch the floor- too tender. Try and have a search around about vets, is there anyone you know you could ask?
I can understand the vets not wanting to give treatment over the phone, the way society is these days if anything goes wrong you get sued.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I wish I could help you, but he really needs to see a vet. I know money is short, and that's a terrible problem, but do everything you can to save this kitty, please.

God doesn't decide to "take" our kitties, in my opinion. The world is not perfect, so we have to do our best to deal with the problems that exist. Our decisions can make the difference between life and death, even if it means eating Ramen noodles for a week or selling something we don't really need. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but if you can save your cat, take whatever steps you can.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To me it sounds as if he might have problems with his teeth. The first sign is that he couldn't chew the dry food. Have you checked his mouth? But like all the other says, take him to the vet.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Whoa! Let's get a diagnosis before we freak out about the possible cost of treatment! This could be something as simple as a sore throat!

I don't want to open up a religious can of worms here, but saying "Maybe God wants him to die" is often something people say as a way of avoiding responsibility. (I'm not saying that's *your* motive, but please consider why you might be thinking that way). I mean, the cat has only been noticeably sick for a day--let's not be thinking about him dying! It's really dangerous to try to diagnose your pet by doing research on the internet.

If the cat is sick or suffering, it is your obligation--morally, ethically, and in most states legally--to provide adequate veterinary care. Prayer is not, in the eyes of the law or anybody else, considered to be "veterinary care."

Call around to see who has the lowest cost office visit; perhaps your local shelter has a clinic associated with it. In Denver there's a huge pet hospital that works on a sliding scale; maybe there's something like that in your area.

Perhaps you could work out a barter arrangement--coming in to clean cages and mop floors for a few mornings, paint the exam rooms, or *something*. Be creative! Everybody's got money problems these days, we all know that, so find a vet who's willing to work with you.

You know what they say--where there's a will, there's a way, God helps those who help themselves--I've got a truckload of little sayings stored in my brain, so don't get me started! :wink:

PennyLynn, you just can't let this beautiful, boy down! He trusts you, he loves you, he relies on you. Please find a way, and take your cat to the vet.

BTW Zalensia, I feel your pain! Having 4 wisdom teeth cut out of the bone was one of the worst things I've ever been through! Took me weeks to heal and I was much younger then! Hang in there--ultimately it's worth it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone, and thank you for all of your responses. :) I need to also clear some things up.....I just want everyone to know that I was not trying to diagnose Baby by doing a search on the internet - I was just very concerned about him and the vets were closed for the weekend. :( Also I was not trying to "avoid my responsibility" by saying the things about God and my money situation. Please do not take this post to heart or as an offensive response to anyone. I just want you all to know that I would never just let my kitties suffer if there is something I can do about it. My cats are my kids. :) I don't like to see them sick.....

I do have some really good news for everyone as well. Baby is eating and drinking now. He drank some tuna water on Sunday night and then he ate some tuna. He is eating well and he has put some weight back on. :D He is feeling much better and now he can lay any way he wants. He is also playing with the other cats and he is no longer acting distant or hiding. He does still seem to have a sore throat, as he can't meow and if he purrs too hard it seems to irritate his throat and makes him cough. But he's doing better every day.

Again, Thank You all for your responses to my posts. I really do appreciate it.........It is nice to know that there are people like myself out there that treat their cats like their kids. :D

Thank You and God Bless,

Penny :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Penny,

Thanks for posting the good news! I am happy to hear that your kitty is on the mend.

Peace,
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts